CHAPTER THREE

~~~~~~~

The swelling seemed to go down dramatically after the shot was injected, and the soreness settled. My head jack still hurt my brain, but Marion was able to spare some pain meds from her medic shop for me.

I was sure to assign guards to her medic shop, to ensure it was not robbed or vandalized. She did great work, and I was happy to assist her and her family after the job she has done. Her family wouldn't starve or be cold again.

The whole digital thing in my brain though, it was funky. I was able to process electronics and attempt to hack into minor things, such as people's ECHOs -- though there was a lack of things to test on here in Clapout. This place was poor, and it wasn't because of my criminal empire; more because the government was corrupt by other gangs. Mainly our rivals; the Blood Skags.

Bunch of psychos. My gang helped people, and showed force where it was needed, and kept the Blood Skags in check. In the eyes of the town, we were the good guys. They were the boogeymen. I've always had a soft spot in my heart, but also a ruthless, intuitive part, which allowed me to rise in the ranks so easily.

"We have five new recruits, three of which we sponsored in the arena, and the other two are brother and sister of fellow gang members." Palo reported, handing the clipboard to me.

"Interesting," I said, reading through their stats. The sister, Kayla, caught my eye... she had much potential, according to the report I got of her, "Send Mitch and Piper from the arena under the scouts' watch, and have Muller train them immediately. The brother, Jayden, and the other from the arena, Locust, can go to the guardsmen, and Lerman can train them. As for Kayla... Recon."

"Yes, ma'am?" Recon answered from his post by the front door.

"Kayla will be your apprentice. Train her to be an officer."

He seemed hesitant, but nodded, "Yes, right away, ma'am." 

Recon left his post after receiving a dismissal nod from me, and went to the barracks to collect his new apprentice. He has been eager for one to train, he just didn't know how to properly ask. So here it was, his very own student.

"Thank you, Palo." I slightly smiled, "I heard your kid is going to be in the arena."

"Yes, he is very proud, and I am too." He humbly looked towards the floor. A question was on the edge of his tongue, I could feel the tension.

"I would be happy to sponsor your son, Palo." I answered for him, making him immediately look up at me with shiny blue eyes.

"You.. you would?" He seemed shocked, but I don't know why. His son was a little younger than I was, he was about fourteen. I practically grew up with him. 

I nodded, "The Disciples watch after each other here. Your boy, who is my friend, will be fully sponsored and blessed by me. It will not be a free ride, but I will personally look after his success... or failure."

Palo quickly rose to his full height, grinning from ear to ear, "Thank you, ma'am!" He excitedly clamored.

All I did was smile in return, while dismissing him with a nod as well. 

When he left, it quickly turned quiet in here. Which was nice, for once. Usually, beggars or traders would be coming in and out, but with the fights going on at the arena for the week, there was no one.

I got up, deciding a nap sounded good, beings everyone should be busy for a little while. I headed over to my room, which was attached to the main headquarters.

"Hey, kiddo," A strange voice said from behind me somewhere, making me immediately pause in my tracks.

There was no one in here the last time I checked...

I suspiciously raised an eyebrow, and slowly turned around to see who the disruptor was. My eyes grew large as a blue, digital figure stood in front of me, a hand on his hip, with a smirk across his lips. Who the heck is that...?! My heartbeat increased dramatically, my cyber eye twitching and glowing brightly.

"Oh, so you can see me, that's good." The figure noted, "So, can you tell me where I am, and who the hell you are? You don't look like Rhys." He eyed me, studying my features closely, and making me feel very uncomfortable.

"Uh..." I was basically speechless, "I, uh..."

"Great, just my luck I get put in another idiot's brain." The digital man growled, angrily approaching me, and making me back up quickly. I rammed my back into the wall, holding my hands up in front of me.

"Who... who are you..?" I stammered, cowering away as he reached out. I expected a hand to grab me, but only felt a weird sensation as his hand phased through my body. 

"Damn it!" He cursed, "Why can't I strangle you either?!" He kept trying to put his hands around my neck, making me not only even more uncomfortable, but also agitated.

I scowled, "Quit it! Tell me who you are, and how you got here!"

Flustered, he stopped attempting to strangle me with a huff of anger, "Jack, Handsome Jack. And I'm in your head, ding dong. That friggin' cyber eye is my prison. For now, anyway. Man, I am so gonna kill Rhys..."

Handsome Jack? Is this guy pulling my leg? Sure, he was handsome, but he must be crazy to claim he's the Handsome Jack. No one would want to be him. Unless he was the real deal, then the egoistic psychopath would definitely want to be himself.

"Wait, you're Handsome Jack?" I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, right. Plus, how is this even real, how are you still alive?"

"I wouldn't say 'alive'. But yeah, I'm still here..." Jack shook his head with a strange frown, "Look, kiddo, I don't know who you are, but you seem familiar."

"Familiar? We just met, you psycho." Those three words made me uneasy. 'You seem familiar'. How could a guy know me, if he's been dead for fifteen years? I was just born around his death. I would've never met him, unless my parents were huge fans of him, and had him kiss me at a meet and greet or something.

And for that, I would hate them.

"Nahnah, you look like, ah, like someone I know..." He rubbed his chin, "Ugh, this is gonna bug me..."

As he stood there thinking, I slipped away from him, and tried to go into my room. I wasn't that far away from my soft, warm bed.... maybe if I shut the door, he'd leave...

I took quick steps away from him, and just as I went to open the door, he phased right immediately in front of me, making me stumble and fall backwards. A yelp escaped my lips before I landed in a heap on the floor.

THWACK!

I hit my head against the hard cement, pain erupting throughout my brain, worse than when I had my surgery. Handsome Jack had a very disappointed look just before he flickered away. 

Groaning, I just laid there on the cool floor, and tried to ignore the ringing in my ears. It wasn't long before I slipped into that nap I wanted -- but not necessarily the way I planned to take it.