Not Alone

When I found myself back at the graffiti there was a small girl standing with her hand pressed against the wall. She looked to be about 8 or 9. There was an only slightly older girl standing next to her. They were not the same girl. The smaller girl had short curly black hair and skin the color of peanut butter. The older girl was blonde and chubby. Neither of them seemed to have noticed me.

"Who do you think did this, Laura?" Asked the brown haired girl.

"I have no idea," Answered Laura, "but if they haven't gotten back they might need our help."

I tried, and failed, to imagine getting help from either of the two small girls. I must've made some kind of noise because Laura and the other girl spun around. Laura stepped closer to me. She didn't seem concerned with the idea of talking to a stranger.

"Did you write this?" She jerked her thumb towards the graffiti I had spray painted not long before.

"Yeah." I said, shoving my hands in my pockets. I felt a strange need to prove myself to the set of girls and their accusing glares.

"I'm Laura. And this is Sara." She didn't talk in the stuttering and kiddish way of most of the children her age. 

"I'm Chase. Are there more of you? Like the younger or older versions of you?" Despite their being so young I had an odd sense that they would be useful.

Sara giggled, "Don't be silly, they've all made it back. We're just supposed to stay behind a few days, you know, for the Finality and all that?"

I stared blankly at her, "No."

Laura suddenly looked very nervous. She glanced down at Sara, then quickly back to me, "Who are you?" Her hand fluttered purposefully over her shoulder, as if she might pull a weapon over her back.

"I already told you. I'm Chase." I suddenly felt extremely nervous. The small girls were both wearing expressions of intensity.

"Why are you here? Why did you choose?" Sara had sat on the ground and was slowly, methodically unlacing her shoes.

I took a careful step back, "I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't choose anything."

Something sprung out of Sara's shoe, something sharp that glinted in the light. At the same time Laura pulled a long silver object out from behind her back. Both objects glowed with an unnatural light, green and purple. I had a distinct feeling that I needed to stay as far away from them as possible. I turned on my heel and ran.