Chapter 20

"Nobody can hurt me without my permission." ~Mahatma Gandhi 

Lady Adaline

"They are going to turn on you," the first whisperer says. "They don't want to do this. They are going to use you." 

"They hate you and they hate you especially for the pain you have caused them," another whispers. 

I fight them. I try not to listen. I need to stay strong for Ryder for he is having a much more difficult time with this. 

"You aren't beautiful at all. Why did Augustus even fall for you let alone risk everything he had for you?" Another asks. "No one loves you, no one cares for you." 

"How can you not hear them?" Ryder asks me sounding pained. 

"Ryder, I do hear them," I reply, tears springing to my eyes. "You can't believe them," I say. "Don't believe anything they say. They are here to torment you." 

"He really loathes you," another whispers. "He blames you for what happened to his sister." 

"You are weak. How could you not defeat that demon? A seven-year old could do it, why couldn't you?" 

"Addy," Ryder says. "How can I trust you?" He asks, pain and hurt laced into his voice that breaks my heart. 

"What have I done to make you not trust me?" I ask him. "What have I done, Ryder?" I ask again, letting the tears falls from my eyes. 

"They are telling me not to trust you!" He practically yells with anger. 

"They are doing this on purpose!" I say with anger towards the voices. "They want you to get angry, they want you to turn on me, they aren't here for you, Ryder. I am here for you, Blaze is here for you, Phoebe is here for you." 

"He's not there for you," someone whispers. "He doesn't want to protect you." 

"You are all alone in this world," I hear another whisper. "You will be alone forever. No one will ever love you." 

"That's it!" I yell into what seems like nothingness. "Shut up!" 

"Feisty," is the last whisper I hear. 

We get to the Sanctuary about ten minutes later and it was the longest ten minutes of my life! As soon as we enter the gates of it, the tension deteriorates almost immediately. 

"Addy," Ryder says so quietly. "I'm sorry for everything I said back there."

"I don't blame you for any of it," I reply. 

He wraps my up in a giant hug that makes me feel safe and protected. "I'm sorry," he whispers.