Chapter eight: Three foes and three bearers

Hoofsteps echoed around the eerily silent, dark, stone structured lands of Tartarus. With the three headed, great black dog known as Cerberus silenced, Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra simply walked up the stone steps, the very stone crumbling and cracking beneath their weight. Evil, twisted smiles were plastered on their faces as they laughed maniacally. The only other sound was a heavy, ragged breathing coming from just head of them.

Climbing up the final few steps, the pair made their way over to a glowing light blue circle in the center of the middle stone structure. There on the circle, was a large cage with a shrunken, red and black centaur.

"Lord Tirek," Said Queen Chrysalis.

The shriveled centaur turned, facing the changeling Queen and dark unicorn King. He took in the sight of the two of them, staring at them with his beady yellow eyes that shone creepily in the pools of black that surrounded them.

"Chrysalis, Sombra," Tirek spoke, his voice hoarse and strained. "How long it's been. I was beginning to think you had both perished."

"No, we're very much alive." Sombra assured him, laughing a cold, evil laugh. "And strong. Tirek, the three of us are all formable foes but together we can conquer Equestria."

"Keep talking." Tirek commanded.

"We were meant to rule over Equestria, Tirek." Said Queen Chrysalis. "Join us, and we will bring those ponies to their knees."

"Say no more." Said Tirek, narrowing his eyes. "I'm in."

"Excellent."

And with that Queen Chrysalis shot a green beam of magic from her horn, followed by King Sombra with his bubbling, dark magic. With a series of sizzling sounds, the bars of the silver, metal cage melted away, leaving a glowing orange hole in the bars. Tirek then stepped out of the cage, emerging from his prison to stand alongside the other two.

"Equestria shall fall and we shall rise once again!" Tirek cried. "It's time for us to take back what was rightfully ours!"

.......

Princess Celestia shot up in bed, drawing the covers in close to her chest as she let out a gasp. Practically breathless, the Princess took in large gulps of air, her eyes wide and wild. She felt as if there were a knot in her throat and there was a sickening feeling in her stomach. Beads of cold sweat had formed on her white coat and began rolling down her face. Heart still pounding, she leaned against her headboard, letting out an exhausted sigh.

Suddenly, the double doors to her bedroom burst open, revealing a composed, but obviously concerned Princess Luna. Her posture displayed the usual formal feel she gave off, but her blue eyes were just as wild as Celestia's. On her left was a pegasus guard with a white coat, and on her right was a gray bat pony with amber eyes. Both royal guards were clad in armor, ready to fight a possible intruder.

"Sister!" Luna exclaimed. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, Luna." Celestia assured her. "May I speak with you for a moment?"

"Leave us please." Luna commanded, putting up a hoof, signaling the guards to take their leave.

After the guards left and their hoofsteps had long died away Celesta slid out of bed. As her hooves touched down on the floor Luna approached her older sister.

"T'was is a vision, sister?" Luna asked, putting a hoof to her chin.

"Yes Luna, I'm afraid so. It was clearly no dream." Celestia responded.

"I knew I felt a disturbance in your dream. However, I was helping somepony else with theirs so I'm afraid you will have to fill me in on your vision."