Prologue

- D -

I was alone

That was one of the only facts I knew about myself. Other than that, I knew my name as well. It was written on the big heavy tombstone weighing on all the soil my actual body was buried under, trapped in my old coffin.

I also knew I was dead.

How I died? - I couldn't really remember. My memories were vague and blurry, I didn't recall many things of my past. But i never tried to remember anyways. I didn't need them. After all, for what purpose should I? I wasn't granted with a second chance to live. I had no use to this world anymore.

But, surprisingly, I was wrong. Soon enough, I was sent an angel.

On that day when she lost her way, she was crying, not knowing where to go. She stumbled upon my neglected grave, and spilled there even more of her hot tears onto the ground right above me.

It felt like rain to me. Soft, refreshing and healing rain. It felt alive.

I wondered if I could grow, like a seed, into a big tree this way. Maybe then I could feel the wind and the sun on the surface again. Not the cold walls of earth around my coffin in that bitter darkness. My soul couldn't take that place anymore.

I wanted to get out of there.

After some time of listening to her gentle sobs and sniffs, I could finally hear her speak.

"I don't want to be alone," she said.

If my heart could still beat, I would have probably felt it tearing apart from the sadness and empathy I felt towards her. I might not be alive anymore, but her sorrow struck me. It was painful.

"You are not alone," I tried to comfort her.

"I am here."

Something that was still left in me knew that she heard my voice, even though I couldn't see her clearly. I tried to reach her warm hand that rested on the ground. My only desire then was to get closer to her and assure her that my words were no lie.

That was when my miracle happened. I didn't really comprehend what exactly I was doing as a remaining bit of a deceased being, but it was as if I was enchanted. Maybe, I thought, I wasn't the only one to try to take her soft hand. Maybe she tried to reach me, too, in need for someone to be with her. To take her hand. But in the end it didn't really matter to me if my thoughts were correct or not. Because after a bit, my wish came true and I realized that I wasn't trapped in my little prison anymore. I was on the surface.

Inside of the angel.

She caught on quite fast that something was different. That someone else was there. "Who are you," she asked and I could feel her lips move according to her question as if they were my own. I finally had my senses back. After so long, I could see, hear and feel so much more clearly as I took in the calming scent of wet grass. Nothing felt like an illusion to me anymore.

Everything was so, so real. I was alive.

I answered her with a new feeling of excitement, which I didn't feel in ages: "My name is Damian!"

"And I promise that I won't leave you alone."

Authors Note:

Thank you so, so much to everyone who read the start of my first work. I appreciate it! If some of you start to build up a liking towards this story, I would be very thankful if you would be ready to support this story by Voting, Commenting and Sharing.

Please also tag several people of your liking, if you think they would enjoy this story.

Have fun!

- Anya