Sherlock chapter 6

We reclined on one another on my couch, the TV on in the background.

I was not paying attention to the program.

I was relishing this precious, rare time with him. We are acting like a normal couple, here at my place for a change.

Without the glamor, fine suits and sunglasses? Without the Tony Stark sass and swagger?

Downey was absolutely, and insanely, charming.

And quite cute.

He was barefoot again, seducing me with his handsome feet, his wriggling toes. He stroked my arm gently, allowing me to lie on him as we laid back on the couch pillows.

         “You know, I really can't accept that jeep. Its really really too much.”

He ignored me, his hand pointing the remote at the screen, despite the fact that he had been watching this program for thirty five minutes.

          “I feel like a call girl.”

         “I'm pretending I didn't hear that,” he said, munching on Doritos. He had his eyes trained on the TV screen. Television was a rare indulgence for him.

I knew it was pointless to argue with him. He did exactly whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.

We sat longer, me enjoying his soft breath against my neck, his hilarious laugh that burst out when he saw something funny on TV.

During the commercials, he spoke.

         “I like that Chloe. She's something else.”

I laughed.

         “She's vocal about what she thinks, alright.”

         “She reminds me of someone else I know,” he playfully said. With his toes, he wiggled my foot.

I gave him a look. He smiled at me.

              “Sorry, I didn't think she'd be driving up tonight-I thought we'd be in the clear. She had told me her flight from San Diego wouldn't arrive until tomorrow afternoon.”

Although I was glad to see her, I was anxious about her and Downey meeting so soon- and about the possible sleeping arrangements.

Chloe had rented a car, and decided to drive the last leg of her journey to my place in Topanga tonight, instead of waiting for her connecting flight to LAX tomorrow.

         “It's nice she's here. She was anxious to see you.” He was shoveling the Doritos in as fast as he could chew them. The whole noisy sex thing-certainly his trademark- didn't appear to be an issue at all for him. Some chips fell on my shoulder as he chewed; he kept munching.

I suspected he was a compulsive eater, as well, when he wasn't chain smoking. Both are compulsive behaviors.

          “She just wants to spy on me,” I told him. He laughed.

I was insistent.

         “For real. I knew she was up to something when I called her on Monday. She just kept asking too many questions about us.”

         “She's just worried about you.” he reassured. I turned and looked at him.

         “You don't know her. She's very nosy- and bossy. And she thinks she's my mother.”

Downey laughed out loud while chewing his mouthful of chips. He kissed me on the forehead, leaving a cheese imprint.

         “Maybe you need mothering.”