Chapter 5

          My voice cut off, the bathroom door standing between me and the chocolate-eyed stranger

          My voice cut off, the bathroom door standing between me and the chocolate-eyed stranger. Who was that?! Another friend of Dr. Sean's? I mean, it is his apartment, but wasn't I given this room temporarily? I think that means a little privacy and- OH NO! He just- that guy just saw me. In a towel. And only a towel. If a person's whole body could blush, mine would be right now. I know at least my cheeks were a bright, burning red. A knock sounded right by my face and I let out another squeak in surprise. 

         "Pookie," Dr. Sean's familiar voice floats peat the door and I slump with relief, "are you okay in there? I'm so sorry, Luke and Gabriel snuck past me... I knew I shouldn't have told them about you yet." 

         The last part of what he said was quieter, like he was thinking out loud. I wondered for a moment who else he had told about me and froze up with panic. Flashes of her spun in my head and I had to physically shake it to get rid of the memories. I was going to be eighteen tomorrow, even if they took me back, I could leave again. My heart slows and I think of how Dr. Sean has been so far. I can't see him doing something like that at all. Fear overrode my judgement for a minute. It's not fair to think that of him and any friends he has. Not everyone is out to get me like my "mother" said; like my "mother" was. My faith in Dr. Sean now restored, something else niggles at my mind. He said... Luke and Gabriel? Two guys. Not  just vanilla-smelling chocolate-eyes. Which was which? I didn't smell anything else, I don't think. Was chocolate-eyes the only one in the room? And why was he in the room? 

         Dr. Sean knocks again, more frantically, and I realize that I had taken a vacation into my mind for too long. 

"Sang?! Are you okay? Are you hurt? I swear if they did anyth-" 

         I tried to tell him that I was fine, but my throat only croaked out an alien sound. So I knocked the door back to get him to stop yelling. An idea sparked and I slowly opened the door, standing totally out of sight. With just enough space, I snuck a hand out of the door, the other one clutching the towel to my chest.  A few seconds pass and Dr. Sean's laughter gets louder and louder. I 'humph' to myself and slam the door again. Why was he laughing? I expected maybe some confusion, seeing as not everyone knows sign language, but laughter? What was he thinking? I spelled it right- F.I.N.E. 

         "Poo-kie! Saaan-g! That was great. Perfect! Oh man, what did I do to deserve you?" he exclaims this between chuckles and I can feel my confusion wrinkling my forehead.  Whaa...what? 

         "I'm going back to the kitchen to make sure they don't bother you again Pookie, so go ahead and change so you can meet the wonder twins." He walks away from the bathroom door, then shuts the bedroom door, and I hear him say something about.. birds? 

Shaking my head, I open the bathroom door once again to-hopefully-get dressed.

Chaaaapteeeeer 5! Wasn't planning on updating so soon, but I was stuck with my other book and @Blinky220 wanted to see what happened next, so... another chapter! Hope you enjoyed it.