six;

-

she waved at him.

it's not that big of a deal, but her heart was rapidly beating the whole time after she made the spur of the moment decision to be social — with her crush.

"did that just happen?" her friend says, smirking after watching that short interaction. "oh, look at that! he waved back."

"shut up," (y/n) says through smiling teeth, continuing to wave even after akaashi's attention was directed elsewhere.

"you look like a robot." she snickers at how her best friend is being. placing a hand on her shoulder, she points in the direction that (y/n) was waving towards. the place where no one was standing. "also, you can stop waving now. he's not even there."

"oh, god, that is so embarrassing," (y/n) grumbles, putting her face into her hands. her friend rubs her back to comfort her.

"it's okay, it's okay. we all are fools when it comes to love," (friend's name) teases, and (y/n) groans in frustration.

"that doesn't make this any better." her mumbles were hardly heard due to the sounds being muffled in her hands. (friend's name) sighs.

"at least he waved back."

"if someone waves, they usually wave back. it's called being polite," (y/n) continues to explain his behavior. yeah, he was doing it to be nice. he couldn't possibly have done it because he likes her.

"stop over-analyzing these kinds of situations!" she scolds (y/n), knowing her friend perfectly well. "he waves because he is being kind, sure, but he knows of your existence at least."

"that's probably worse!"

"what do you even mean! shouldn't you be ecstatic that he acknowledged your presence?" she exclaims with disbelief, and (y/n) frowns with crimson cheeks. yes, a normal person would react that way, but (y/n) can't help but feel more self-conscious in a situation like this.

"if he's aware of me, he could notice all my stupid mistakes," she mumbles, feeling slightly embarrassed even mentioning this small insecurity. "if i'm awkward, if i trip, it'll just ruin his currently neutral image of me, right?"

"girl, you have to stop thinking so much," her best friend says, amused. (y/n) forces out a laugh, realizing that she might look pathetic.

"yeah, you're right."

-

"i won't set for you, bokuto-san."

he had it coming. with his constant teasing, bokuto was bound to get punished someway or another, but surely akaashi wouldn't go this far, knowing how bokuto would react, right?

"a-akaashi!" he exclaims with disbelief. constantly bringing up (y/n) to him shouldn't bother akaashi this much, should it? "you— you can't do this!"

"watch me," he says and walks away, still holding onto the volleyball. he feels bad for leaving his teammates with an overly-emotional bokuto, but right now, he is done.

"i won't mention her again! i promise! please, come back, akaashi!" he says, running up to him and touching his shoulder. akaashi swats his hands away, peering at his sweat-dropping teammates, eyes screaming for help.

"set your own balls, bokuto-san."

"that's not even possible! akaashi!"

sighing, akaashi walks out of the gymnasium, wrapping his arms around the volleyball and hugging it to his chest. he can hear bokuto continuing to yell for him, but akaashi needs a break. he deserves a break.

he sits on the bench outside, slightly spinning the ball in his hands. he doesn't know exactly why he decided to up and leave, but now that he's out here in the cool breeze, he doesn't know if he wants to go back in.

and that's when she walked by.

he didn't notice at first, and neither did she. putting her change into the vending machine, she was hoping to get a quick snack before leaving for home.

it wasn't until she started kicking the side of the machine did he bring his eyes up to her familiar figure. his eyes widen when he recognizes her, thinking to himself what are the chances that she would be here?

taking advantage of this chance, he goes up to help her.

"having trouble?" he asks after a moment of rehearsing in his head what his first words could be to her. he isn't satisfied with his choice but doesn't dwell on it.

(y/n) looks up at the rather amused voice, feeling her cheeks heat up when she finds who it belongs to. "y-yeah. it won't come out."

"can you hold this, please?" he asks, completely forgetting to put the ball down on the bench when he headed over. she nods, taking the volleyball from his hands and holds it as he gets to work.

akaashi has had this problem happen to him before, but he usually had bokuto there to help him out. he tries his best by himself though and starts shaking the whole machine as she watches in awe.

akaashi's muscles weren't as impressive as bokuto's but they definitely were still very impressive. and she notices this, but quickly looks away before he catches her eyes. as the snack falls to the bottom, he reaches under and grabs it for her.

"here you go," he says, holding it out to her. he gives her a small smile, and (y/n)'s heart involuntarily skips a beat. god, that was so cute. she can barely think straight.

so, when she hands him back the volleyball, she drops it so that it falls and bounces off his foot, rolling away down the sidewalk. "oh my god, i'm so sorry!"

she immediately starts running after it, and he does too, but sadly, she trips on her way there.

there it is, her worst fear: tripping in front of her crush. man, is she embarrassed.