ten;

sorry for the unplanned 3 year hiatus:(( thank you for being patient and sticking by and saying all those nice, encouraging things:)) i appreciate and love you all❤❤ and I hope you're all safe and are doing ok❤

-

he is determined. he is going to talk to her.

between bokuto nagging him in his ear and (y/n)'s obviously flushed face, he suddenly has enough courage and confidence to make his way over to her. as she sat in front of (friend's name), her best friend is teasing her, and when they both notice akaashi making his way over, her poor face is redder than ever.

"hi, (y/n)," he says with a slight tilt of his lips, then nods at her friend beside her. (friend's name) just stares at him, mouth agape, because when did he start calling her best friend by her first name? and without honorifics? "and (friend's name)-san."

"h-hi, akaashi," (y/n) greets him with a small smile. (friend's name) stares at her with just as much surprise. why isn't she calling him by his first name? what's happening right now? what even is his first name? (friend's name) was honestly so confused.

"how are your knees?" he asks, and (friend's name) was internally screaming for her friend. this guy seemed so caring! and he was handsome! he seemed like the perfect guy for her best friend. she glanced over at (y/n) who was as red as a tomato, unable to form a single sentence.

"she has been complaining all day about her knees!" (friend's name) says, telling a small fib to get a reaction out of her friend.

"really?" akaashi asks, and the sincere worry was evident in his voice. "are you okay?"

(y/n)'s jaw dropped. she looked back and forth between her best friend and akaashi, mouth opening and closing as she tried to find the words to defend herself. "i—i have not been complaining, i swear! i–it doesn't hurt anymore, actually. i promise."

"are you sure–" he started to ask, but then, out of nowhere, bokuto showed up from behind him with crossed arms, butting into their conversation with a look of pride on his face.

"if you're still hurt, akaashi would gladly carry you!"

(friend's name) spat out her drink right then and there, all over her lunch. "awe, shit," she mumbled, but soon forgot about her lunch when she saw her best friend and her crush's reactions.

(y/n)'s eyes went wide when bokuto's words registered in her brain. she quickly looked away from everyone and stared at her food, her face completely flushed (as if it could get any more flushed). akaashi coughed into his closed fist, a blush creeping up his neck.

"are you sure you're okay?" akaashi asks, hoping that they all could pretend bokuto never said a word. everyone easily followed suit, leaving bokuto's wide, amused eyes to slowly lose their joy.

"y-yeah."

"do you need anything?"

"n-no." she legit didn't know how much more her heart could take. it was beating so so fast, and her brain could barely comprehend his words. all she could say was "yeah" and "no." it was frustrating!

"are you guys really gonna ignore what i said? akaashi?" bokuto whines, and when he notices that none of them spare him a single glance, he sulks with his shoulders hunched forward and his lips slightly pouted.

"what is your next class?" akaashi asks (y/n). before she could reply, (friend's name) cut in and answered for her.

"math! calculus 2." she gave a knowing glance to her blushing best friend. "i have history, which is on the opposite side of school..."

"calculus 2!?" bokuto exclaims. "math goes that far?"

"yes, bokuto-san... and it goes even farther..." akaashi says, and (y/n) covers her mouth to hide her amusement.

"i barely got by in algebra 1..." bokuto mumbles under his breath, his eyes wide in amazement at his friend's girl friend. "i mean, i passed algebra 1 with ease! especially with akaashi's help!" he slapped his setter on the back who lurched forward at the impact. "now this guy! he's got a brain!"

"bokuto-san..." from the tone in his voice, anyone could tell that what he really wanted to say was shut up.

(friend's name) now felt like it was her turn to brag. "yeah, well, (y/n) is super smart!" (y/n)'s head whipped to her friend, her eyes full of alarm. "she doesn't even use the derivative chart her teacher hands out. she memorized it all!"

"what's a derivative?" bokuto asks.

"i don't know," (friend's name) admits. "but she knows them! very well, i might add!"

what started as a way to brag to their friend's crushes about their friend soon turned into a competition over which was smarter. (y/n) stares in complete shock at them, wanting to intervene and make them stop, but they were so into their argument that they didn't pay her or akaashi any attention.

"(y/n)." she takes her gaze away from bokuto and (friend's name) to akaashi, who was standing in front of her lunch table, fiddling with his fingers. "are you done eating?"

"y-yes." she looked down at her food, which was gone except for the small portion that (friend's name)'s drink sprayed from when she spat out her drink. he wondered to himself whether he should throw it out for her, but before he could do anything, she picked up her trash in one hand and her backpack in the other. he walked with her to throw it away and decided it might've been weird to suddenly through out her trash.

without saying anything, they start to walk in the direction of her next class. she assumed that he had to go in the same direction, but really, he just wanted to walk with her.

he looked down at her, smiling softly to himself at the height difference. honestly, if he had the confidence to, he would grab her hand right then and there. but, unfortunately, not only did he lack the courage, but she also was holding her backpack's strap with the hand closest to him, so he didn't have the chance anyway.

"w-what class do you have next, akaashi?"

"i have a free period," akaashi says, looking ahead as they walk, not noticing she stopped in her tracks.

"y-you don't have a class in this direction?" she squeaked, and just as her face was slowly cooling down, it was warm once again.

"nope." he presses his lips together to suppress a smile. he loved seeing her reactions to things like this, so he decided to push it a little farther. "and you can start calling me keiji, if you want. i call you (y/n), so.."