Six.

“He said what?!” Sabrina screeched, her high pitch threatening to shatter the frosted glass door. Addison wouldn’t have been surprised if they had heard her friend in China. 

“Keep it down,” Addison hissed, her bright blue orbs scanning the glass for any dark figures that might be passing by. The last thing she needed was the entire office speculating on her personal life. She had worked very hard to keep her personal and professional life separate and the last thing she needed was for the interns to be gossping about the sordid details of her half-existent love life on their coffee breaks. 

As if on cue, her office door flew open revealing Jonathan, his green eyes wide with a mischievous look and a devilish smirk upon his face. Without waiting for an invitation, he strode into the room, shutting the door behind him, and took a seat beside Sabrina on Addison’s desk.

“So,” he started, crossing one leg over the other and placing his clasped hands upon his knee, “My sources tell me you’ve been getting up close and personal with one Mr. Harry Styles.” The smug grin on his face and the knowing look in his eyes was enough to make her heave. Jonathan prided himself on being the most well informed gossip whore in the business, the Gretchen Weiners of the fashion industry, if you will. He had known about Kimye’s Vogue cover before it was even in its preliminary stages. It didn’t surprise Addison that he knew about Harry, especially with the shifty blonde sitting beside him.

Addison groaned, her eyes narrowing into a fierce glare that settled upon her best friend. “Sab, I told you not to say anything.” As hard as she tried, Sabrina was terrible at keeping secrets, especially those that were of a happier nature. Addison shouldn't have been surprised that Sabrina let it slip, but she was. She figured that her best friend would have been able to keep a lid on it, at least for the time being.

“Oops,” Sabrina shrugged, her fingertips brushing across Addison’s stapler, phone and paperweight as she refused to meet the hardened crystal gaze. “Must have slipped.”

A heavy sigh escaped the brunette’s lips. She had never been one to divulge the details of her personal life, but this situation had left her at a loss. She appreciated Harry’s honesty. There was no doubt about that. However, his own decisiveness left her feeling uncertain. While she had definitely grown to like Harry despite their rough beginning, she still wasn’t sure if romance had a place in their tenuous friendship.  And now that Harry had made his intentions clear, the ball was in her court. She had to decide where she wanted this to go, whatever it was.

“I don’t know what to do,” Addison moaned, crossing her arms upon the desk before laying her head upon them. The soft fibers of her navy sweater tickled her cheek, a sensation that she normally would have found comforting. But right now, even the powers of cashmere couldn’t shake away the creeping feel of anxiety that was beginning to settle within her.

“What do you mean?” Jonathan asked, his brows wrinkled in confusion. He wasn’t quite up to speed but he saw no reason for his boss’s anxiety. She had the attention of Harry Styles, one of the world’s most eligible bachelors and the subject of thousands of girls (and some of Jonathan’s) secret fantasies. If anything, she should have been celebrating.

Sabrina sighed loudly, placing a comforting hand upon the brunette’s back, which she began to move in slow circles. “Ads, you don’t have to do anything.” Sabrina was one of the only people in the universe who understood the way that Addison’s mind worked, and thus, was one of the only people that was ever able to sufficiently comfort her. Addison just needed to be brought out of her own head, a task that was easier said than done.

“Yes I do,” Addison mumbled, her voice muffled by the sleeve of her sweater. She refused to lift her head from the desk, knowing that Sabrina and Jonathan’s facial expressions would only add to the turmoil she was experiencing. They just didn’t get it. “I have to make a decision,” she continued, “Otherwise if I keep hanging out with him, he’ll think I’m leading him on.”