Chapter 1: The run

Belonging to darkness - Chapter 1

"Don't trust anyone, even the closest people to you. Everyone is selfish and you never know what anyone is planning." the general told me.

"General, why are you saying this?" I asked.

"Look at me," I looked at him. I have never seen him this serious before in my life. Yes, he always had a stiff expression on his face and always stood straight and strong as a general should but he was never this 'emotionally' serious.

"Listen, always do what you think is right. Follow your instincts and remember you are stronger and smarter than anyone else would ever think." He said.

"I will always remember that, General, but can you tell me why you are telling me these things? What is happening?"

"There has been a traitor among us but it's too late now to catch him...Just remember what I taught you. Don't ask any more questions, okay. Now, run down the hall and turn left. Do you understand?" I nodded, "Go down the stairs, you will see a wall. Push the fifth brick on the fifth row. The wall will slide open and close in after you. Run till the end of the tunnel, a boat awaits. You hear that!"

"Yes, General."

"Now, run! Be careful, don't let anyone see you and trust no one! Go, run fast!" He commanded, and then blew off the candle in his hands. I left the room and ran down the hall as shadows lay beneath the marbled floor and darkness eats every light there is left. A cold breeze of air blew across me and the moon's light flickered from the large windows. I turned left, as the general said, spotting the stairs leading to the wall.

"Isn't it too late for a lady like yourself to be running around in a big castle like this?" A voice said behind me and I froze. I quickly turned to see the owner of the voice as I rapidly think of an answer. A man probably in his twenties leaned on the wall. I couldn't see his face, only his hair.

"I am only looking for my necklace. It probably fell during the day but I figured it was not on my neck some hours ago. It is really precious to me so I couldn't wait till tomorrow." I lied with my heart running miles.

"If you're really looking for your necklace, shouldn't you be holding a candle? How can one see in this darkness? I mean, I can surely see anything in this darkness, but you?" he asked moving towards me. Oh lord, what am I going to do?

"A boat awaits...Don't let anyone see you! Go, run fast!" the general's words echoed in my head.

"The moon's light." I replied to his question, "Excuse me, sir. I think I should get back to my room. I have been searching for my necklace for hours and I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Good night." I had no other option other than to hide somewhere for some minutes until this man disappears. He was sort of mysterious.

"You are truly the one." He said.

"What do you mean?"

"The girl I've heard so much about..." he closed my mouth, pushing me towards the wall.

"Yom butter remobe yourn hamd!" I tried to speak.

"Shhh!" he hissed. I could feel his breath on my ear. Unlike any other human, his breath was cold not warm. His eyes were dark, nothing of color. He closed my eyes making something move through my veins to my chest. I jerked away and fell to the floor. I tried to get up and run but I could no longer feel my body. My mind became an empty page and I couldn't think of anything. I saw the moon light, so pure before my eyes slowly close.

I slightly opened my eyes only to see blur. I closed my eyes and opened them again, this time my vision was clear. I sat up and looked around as I touched the right side of my head which tremendously hurt. Two candles were placed at the both sides of the bed. I watched the wax melt for some seconds trying to figure out why my head and chest tremendously hurt. Heavy-looking black curtains embroidered with golden thread covered the only two windows in the room.