Twenty-Two

Kylie felt lighter than air. She had been for the past few days after she and Ed kissed. The blonde wasn't really one for all those sappy, cliche love stereotypes but it certainly felt like she was living in a romance novel, albeit a slightly strange one. Her arm had healed enough that she could move it without reopening the wound, she finally regained an adequate amount of strength to be able to move about Ed's apartment, and Galavan had been arrested, so in a sense, things were looking up. Of course, there was a downside to the whole situation after the gala, being that she couldn't ever really leave the apartment when she was a criminal in hiding and all. (Even if her staged death had been seen by all of Gotham) All that she could do was lounge around the place and watch television with Oswald, which was what she was currently doing on a late night. He had actually let her pick this time, throwing the remote at her head when she spoiled an episode he hadn't watched yet. She was sure he hadn't intended to throw the remote and relinquish control of the TV but in a fit annoyance grabbed the thing closest to him and hurled it. She had dodged it by an inch and cheered when she realized what he had thrown. Oswald, however, regretted his decision immediately after. He was currently moping about the kitchen in hopes of finding something suitable for a late night snack. In the midst of channel surfing, Kylie was struck by a sudden thought. 

"Hey, Ossie," she called out, turning her body to face the man's direction," how in the hell did you end up here anyway?"

It was something she had wondered in the first few moments after she had regained consciousness in the apartment but forgotten in all that had happened after. Now, it was a question that burned through her brain, igniting an all-consuming curiosity inside of it. Especially since Eddie had never mentioned knowing the mobster past the awkward encounter in the precinct lobby she had witnessed one day. She still couldn't believe the scientist had sprung a fun fact about penguins on the blue-eyed man.     

Oswald froze. His fingers had just brushed the package of a pudding cup when the blonde's voice rang out with the sudden question, the question his gracious host had begged him to answer carefully. Ed had came to him after Kylie had fallen asleep the night after the two had spoken for the first time since the gala and confirmed what the man had already inferred from the conversation. The young woman had no knowledge of the murder of Kristen Kringle and Ed had wanted to keep it that way. Of course, Oswald was intrigued to know the reasoning behind it and with a bit of prying, gleaned a bit more information. It was interesting to know that when his bespectacled friend had committed his first murder, it was Kylie that helped him dispose of the evidence. It was even more interesting to know that Ed was still afraid that the blonde would abandon him after killing someone who hadn't been a person of the same caliber as Tom Dougherty.  Personally, Oswald had a feeling that if the blonde was willing to join a team of insane Arkham escapees and murder a whole slew of teenagers just for Ed then the man shouldn't worry about her leaving him behind. However, it wasn't his business and he sort of owed it to the scientist to keep his secret. 

The dark haired man let his fingers wrap around the cool plastic container of chocolate pudding and pull it from the fridge," It's nothing too exciting," he admitted nonchalantly," A plan of mine failed. I ended up in a bad position. Your boyfriend happened to be the one to find me," the fridge door closed and he peeled the wrapper from the top of the snack," and brought me here."

There was a brief silence as Kylie thought over Oswald's words. He was being unnecessarily vague and what other plan could have gone wrong than the one she never got to aid in executing? 

"You went after Galavan without me didn't you?"

Oswald scowled and threw away the wrapper he had just finished licking clean. He was half hoping that she'd forgotten about that part of the arrangement they had made.