Twenty-Three

There was a flurry of purposeful movement after Gabe eventually spit out Galavan's location. Kylie had hastily scribbled out a note to Eddie, who would no doubt come home to an eerily empty apartment, that there was leftover macaroni and cheese in the fridge for him to heat up before running out the door with Oswald and his driver. The man had brought Oswald a freshly pressed suit to change into before departing but the blonde was obviously less fortunate than the mobster. She was still clad in the same dismal attire that just screamed "I ate 16 pudding cups and watched three seasons of Forensic Files all in one day." Attention was brought to that fact as soon as she and Oswald ducked into the backseat of a shiny black car worth more than her yearly salary and she received a rather judgmental look.

"Gabe, we're going to have to make another stop."

Fifteen minutes later, she was knocking on the door of her landlady's apartment and convincing the old woman that she had misplaced her key earlier that day. When she was handed a spare, Kylie let out a sigh of relief and gave a big smile. After thanking the lady, she and her two companions began the trek up to her own home. By the time they reached her door Oswald was complaining about his leg and Gabe was breathing hard while leaning against the hallway wall. She might of felt bad about dragging the two all the way up four flights of stairs if she wasn't 100% sure that they would leave her behind in favor of getting to Galavan faster. After jigging the key a couple times, the front door creaked open like it always did and she stepped inside. It felt strange to flick on the light in her apartment and walk in just like she used to do after work every day. In reality, she had only been away for about a month but felt more like years to her. Just a month ago she was scrubbing blood from one of Eddie's dress shirts in her kitchen sink. 

"Hey, Kylie," Oswald interjected suddenly, breaking the blonde's reverie," we kind of have revenge to exact so if you could stop standing around and do what we came here for, that'd be great."

She blinked, mildly startled, as he pushed past her and into the living room. How long had she been standing in the foyer?

"Sorry, Ossie," she apologized, taking steps towards her bedroom," It's just been a while since I've been here."

The dark haired man snorted as he swiped a finger over an end table he passed by on his way to the living room," I can tell."

Her blue eyes narrowed at the man but she ultimately decided that retorting wasn't worth the effort. She instead turned to Gabe, who was still standing awkwardly in the entry way.

"If you're hungry, feel free to check the fridge or the food pantry. I'm sure there's something that's not expired somewhere."

With that, she slipped through her bedroom door and closed it, not wanting Oswald to scold her again. She did her best to ignore the waves of nostalgia sweeping over her as she threw open her closet. Her arm throbbed weakly at the sudden movement but she pushed on, she didn't really know how much time she had before the ill-tempered mobster decided to leave without her. She let her eyes scan quickly over its contents before stopping on a particular dress. It was purple and one of her favorites. She had bought it just before she had been kidnapped and so she had never gotten the chance to wear it. The blonde pulled it out and sat it down on her bed carefully. She swallowed hard. It was almost the same color as her magician's assistant outfit she wore to the gala. It was perfect for tonight.

After shedding her current outfit and slipping into her new one, she raced to gather up more clothes. All kinds of essentials were thrown into an old duffel bag, including a certain item from her underwear drawer that Eddie had been interested in during his brief stay. She packed the photo of her and Kailyn last and zipped the bag. Resolving to do her makeup in the car, she left her bedroom.