I looked at Meteor, a man trying to come to terms with something very hard to swallow.

     "Are you alright, buddy?" I asked quietly.

     "Just fine, my young ward," Meteor said, but he was very clearly not fine.

     I wasn't sure what to say. It had never occurred to me that this all might be a lot deeper than it appeared.

     "Hey look, we all make mistakes," I said, attempting to be comforting. "Eight years was a long time ago; I'm sure you would never screw up like that now. Uh, not to say that...you know...it was a screw up, or anything..." I trailed off lamely.

     Meteor didn't say anything, but his face told me all I needed to know. An innocent person had died as a result of his actions.

     Teravolt came up behind us.

     "Hey guys," she said. "I don't really know what's going on, and I'm super sorry to hear that Ranvier's girl got iced and made him become even more of a psycho, but we need to get out of here while we still have the chance."

     "She's right," I said. "Ranvier's going to try and lock us in here."

     Meteor stirred, his slumped silhouetted blurry in the falling water.

     "Right," he said. "There's time for introspection later."

     He grabbed both of us around our waists, held us underneath his arms, and rocketed up the side of the pit in a mirror of Knuckle's earlier maneuver. We hit the ground running, chasing after Ranvier, but it seemed he was already lost in the maze of hallways leading out of the arena.

     "Teravolt, do you recognize any of this?" I asked.

     "It all looks the same," she said. "I was only here once."

     "I know the way out," said Meteor. "This wouldn't be the first time I've run for my life through these halls."

     "So you knew about this place all along?" I said. "And you thought the best plan was to just come here and fight Ranvier on your own?"

     "Quickdraw, you are the first and only partner I've ever had," Meteor replied. "If you had gotten hurt fighting my battle, I never would have forgiven myself."

     "That's what I'm trying to tell you, man," I said. "It's not just your battle anymore. We're a team. That means that we pull each other up when the other one is down. One for all and all for one; you know. Like a candy bar, but filled with justice instead of nougat."

     Meteor sniffled loudly and wiped his eye with a massive fist.

     "Come on now, you don't have to cry," I said.

     "Tears of joy!" Meteor exclaimed. "I never should have doubted you, partner!"

     "Aw, that's sweet," said Teravolt.

     We ran on in silence for a little, and I looked over at her, waiting.

     "What?" she asked, noticing me watching her.

     "I was expecting you to finish that up with something sarcastic," I explained. "You know, kind of...villainous?"

     Teravolt sighed. "Yeah...but I meant it. I never had anyone to look after me like you have. DeLuge would have never come to save me if I was in Meteor's place. I have to admit, I was wrong about you guys. You really do care."

     "Okay, you're next on the hug list," said Meteor.

     "That might be taking it a little far," Teravolt said.