The Bright Side

It seemed a long while before any news arrived. Georgiana attempted to fill her days as best she could, practicing the pianoforte with furious concentration and reading as many books as she could manage in order to improve her mind for her next meeting with Miss Elizabeth. She felt confident that there must be one—surely such determination as Fitzwilliam's would win through eventually. Resolutely she refused to contemplate the possibility that he would fail to find Mr. Wickham and the runaway sister. That would put the rest of the sisters utterly beyond reach—at least, for a gentleman. He could not allow that to happen. Or, rather, she thought more practically, she hoped he wouldn't.

She imagined poor Miss Elizabeth's feelings as she worried over her sister, unable to do anything about the situation. How would she react, Georgiana wondered, if Fitzwilliam was in danger and she had no way of finding him or going to him for help? It would be miserable. She wasn't certain she would be able to endure such torment without acting ... but then again, as women, they had no right to act, and no way to discover the truth of such escapades as this of the youngest Miss Bennet's. It was enough to make Georgiana wish she had been born a man, and could be allowed to be out in the world making decisions.

These speculations were fruitless, she told herself, restlessly leaving the pianoforte for the sunny gardens. What a pretty life, filled with fine things and the beauty of nature and everything nice she liked to eat ... but useless. Lightly cupping the blossom of a rose, she looked into it, searching for her answers there.

A voice calling her name startled her, and she jerked the blossom off the bush involuntarily as she turned. One of the maids was coming toward her, holding a letter aloft. It must be from Fitzwilliam, Georgiana thought. She had left instructions that his letters be brought to her as soon as possible. Georgiana tucked the rose into her hair and took the envelope, thanking the maid. She slit it open carefully, removing the closely written letter, and hurried to the nearest bench to read it.

Dearest Georgiana,

The fugitives are found, and more easily than I had suspected they would be. The gentleman of our acquaintance is sadly lacking in imagination. Unfortunate for him, but very fortunate for the family of the young girl. I wish I had found her in a more sober frame of mind; she seems to understand very little of the position she had placed her family in and to care even less. I am grateful to you, sister, for the good sense and delicacy you displayed at a similar time in your life, and if I have not said so adequately before, I am proud of the way you handled yourself then and afterward.

She smiled at that. His approval and respect meant so much to her—he stood in the place their parents would have held had they lived. It was gratifying to know that even though she had disappointed him by falling for Mr. Wickham's lures in the first place, she had met his expectations in overcoming the situation.

I have, I hope, helped to manage the situation in such a way that Mr. Wickham should not be able to bring further disgrace to the Bennet family, and with the commission I have enabled him to purchase he should be placed where he can do no further damage to our family's harmony. These arrangements were made in the strictest confidence, which I believe he will honour. I have asked Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner to keep my confidence, as well, although I do not believe they fully understand the situation or the reason for my reticence. It is to Miss Elizabeth's credit that it appears none of her family is aware of what has occurred between us—she is very generous in her discretion.

'Generous in her discretion'? Georgiana mused. Possibly. Or perhaps she was embarrassed at the way she had treated Fitzwilliam. Georgiana wished she could get the two of them alone in a room and force them to talk with one another. But as polite and stubborn as they both were, doubtless they would dance around the most important topics and nothing would be discussed and no progress would be made. She sighed, turning her attention back to the letter.

Before I may leave London, there is just one small task remaining that I wish to discharge. Also, I do want to make certain that Mr. Wickham's situation is properly taken care of, down to the dotting of the final 'i'. At the very least, this occurrence has removed the danger of his leading any more young women astray. We can be thankful for that much, even if I grieve for Miss Elizabeth in having her sister, and the rest of her family, permanently tied to such a man.

I hope that reading this has not brought you further pain. At least there is some relief in knowing that the man who caused much of our problems has been removed from our lives, hopefully for good. The only chance of further entanglement with Mr. Wickham is if that wish of mine that you know of should come to fruition ... but the lady in question has left little room for hope in my heart, and so I must search for another bright side in all of this.

The final task remaining to me will, if it succeeds, no doubt take me elsewhere than London for a brief time, but once that is done, I hope to return to Pemberley and to you, dearest sister, for a good long while. I need the healing consolation of home and family after all that has occurred. I vow henceforth to be a more devoted brother and to take a greater interest in your time and welfare. You are very dear to me, Georgiana, and I hope that you know that.

Your loving brother,

Fitzwilliam

Tears sprang to her eyes as she folded the letter up. All her life, she had looked up to her intelligent, well-spoken, generous, good-hearted brother and had worked to be worthy of his regard. She was immeasurably gratified that she had achieved that goal, and had become someone he wanted to spend more time with. Now if only his Miss Elizabeth could be persuaded to overcome her objections to him and look on him with favor—what a happy family they could be.