The Shades of Pemberley

As the coach pulled up the long drive toward Pemberly, Georgiana concentrated on sitting still. She feared that if she allowed her emotions free rein she would bounce straight through the roof of the coach and end up perched on a branch high in one of the trees that lined the road. Would it have changed? she wondered. Would Lizzie's presence have brought echoing sound to the silent hallways and light to rooms formerly closed and darkened?

A small part of her deep inside worried about her own reception. Fitzwilliam and Lizzie had had a good month to celebrate being a married couple together, and to judge from the few letters she had received from them, had enjoyed their time together immensely. What if they found her presence rather a nuisance than a joy? Or, worse, pretended to be happy to have her back but then hurried straight off to London or Bath to be alone again? Her fingers twisted restlessly, her stomach churning. She'd never in her life been this nervous about seeing her beloved brother. Even the familiar beauty of her equally beloved home couldn't settle her racing thoughts.

Then the coach pulled up in front of the house. Georgiana resolutely refused to look out the window until the footman opened the door. With a murmured thanks, she took the gloved hand he held out to her and carefully stepped down. Only then, when her feet were firmly on the grounds of Pemberley, did she look up—and just in time, because Lizzie was running down the steps toward her, arms open wide. Fitzwilliam wasn't far behind, showing an enthusiasm he usually reserved for moments in private. Had marriage changed him so much already?

But she had little time for questions or thought, because they both reached her at the same time, and she was caught in their embrace.

"Georgiana, you look so well!" Fitzwilliam said. "How was your time at Longbourn?"

"I do hope Mary and Kitty didn't wear you down with gloom and giddiness," Lizzie added.

"Not at all. Indeed, it was quite pleasant. They all send their love, and look forward to your next visit to the neighbourhood." A giggle escaped her. "There were many hints dropped by each person about the great happiness an invitation to Pemberley would bring."

"I don't doubt it," Fitzwilliam said dryly. Georgiana could tell that absence and marriage had not endeared his new relatives to him any further.

Lizzie was frowning, however. "Did you say 'each person'? Even Kitty? I would have imagined the quiet of Pemberley would be the farthest thing from bringing her happiness."

"She said something about using the library here to further her studies, and her interest in seeing the gallery of marbles."

"Kitty said that?"

"Truly! Although I have to confess that she also suggested having a few of Fitzwilliam's more eligible friends to visit at the same time." The youngest unmarried Bennet had begun to reform, but certainly not completely.

"That sounds more like my sister," Lizzie agreed. "But ... studying? Dare I hope, with Papa?" At Georgiana's confirming nod, she clapped her hands together. "Just what I had hoped for. Was that your doing, sister?"

Blushing, Georgiana confessed that she believed it had been.

"You see, I told you she would prosper there," Fitzwilliam said, his eyes shining warmly on his wife. "And you were concerned."

"I was. I thought you would be miserable and be counting the days until you could return to Pemberley."

"Oh, indeed, I did." Georgiana looked around her at the familiar walls and trees with a sigh of happiness. "Pemberley is my home; I love it like no other place in all of England, and ever shall. Ah, I see the two of you," she cried, as the wedded couple smiled knowingly at one another. "Yes, perhaps I shall marry and learn to love my new husband's home ... but it can never be quite the same."

"Wise beyond your years, my sister." Fitzwilliam put an arm around her shoulders and began walking with her to the house.

"Your room has been aired out, bright and breezy, and your gardens have been missing you," Lizzie said, falling into step along with them.

Georgiana barely dared to ask the next question; just thinking of putting it so boldly made her breath come short, but ask she must. "And the two of you? Shall I form one of your merry party, or am I an awkward interloper in the midst of wedded bliss?" It was foolish to ask—naturally, they would claim the first, however they felt.

But there was no hesitation in the squeeze of Fitzwilliam's arm around her or the eagerness with which Lizzie took her other arm. "You are the last thing needed to complete our merry party, as you are pleased to call it," Fitzwilliam assured her.

"Ah, now, husband, perhaps we shouldn't be so selfish," Lizzie said, although the twinkle in her eyes belied her words. "You know Lady Catherine is eager to have Miss Georgie come to Rosings, to escape the taint that has polluted the shades of Pemberley."

He grinned. "I had almost forgotten. She wrote such a charming letter on the occasion of our wedding."

"Don't tell me, she has decided to approve your marriage after all?" Georgiana teased him.

"I shan't tell you, that, indeed, for it would be a wicked lie. Rather, she has scolded me again for throwing away my future and disappointing the dearest hopes of our mama." The smile faded from his face at the mention of their mother. "I have no doubt that Mama agreed to go along with the scheme to have Anne and myself marry, but I cannot imagine she would ever wish me to act against the dictates of my heart and happiness."

Georgiana looked down at the ground, feeling the truth of her brother's words.

Lizzie sighed. "I am sorry for the things I said to her—well, perhaps not sorry, exactly," she amended when Fitzwilliam's eyebrows shot up in disbelief. "But I do wish I was not the cause of your relative's displeasure with you."

"As I told you before, my Lizzie, I would rather have you—and my sister," he added, giving Georgiana's shoulders another squeeze, "and let the rest of the world pass by as it may than the approval of any relative without you."

"As would I," Georgiana added stoutly. "My aunt will come 'round in time ... or she will not. But either way it will be her own choice. It seems a complete waste of your time to worry about her feelings on this matter, which, after all, is not at all her concern."

"You two are too generous with me."

"Not possible."

Georgiana yawned suddenly, and Lizzie took her hand. "We are keeping you from your rest, sister dear, and after such a long journey. Let us go in and let you settle back amidst your comfortable things."

Together they climbed the steps and re-entered Pemberley, the house's doors opening to receive them and closing again to hold them in its embrace.