Chapter 15

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

'They're breaking off!'

The excited shout in Ashton's ears brought his head round, craning over his shoulder; it was true.  The broken formation of bombers and their escort was turning away; it seemed that as much as the damage they had caused - and several his experienced eye said would never make it home - their delaying tactics had caused the fighter escort to hit their fuel limit thus robbing the bombers of their badly needed protection without which, it seemed, they were unable or unwilling to press home their attack.

'Well done everyone.. form on me.. Impi Leader to Wicket.. enemy has broken off contact and heading home.. trade heading south east.. Over.'

Almost immediately the reply came through 'Thank you Impi..'  The voice went on speaking and Ashton heard them calling up squadrons across Cornwall to cut off the raiders route home '.. Suncup, Wicket here.. trade for you heading home from the north.. they've been having a natter with Impi so they're not very happy..'

A snort was the response 'Suncup Leader here.. they'll be a damn sight less happy once we've put in our tuppence!'

As Ashton formed up with the remainder of the squadron he mentally switched off from the conversation, the last heard being 'Suncup, mixed bag of bandits heading your way, angels 10, bearing 340.. 111s and 109s..'

Glancing back at the formation he scowled at the gaps in Red and Yellow section not looking forward to yet more letters he would have to write to grieving parents; never one to pass on unwelcome duties to others Ashton always made sure that relatives of personnel under his command always got a personal letter of condolence from him as well as the official standard form telegram.  Knowing their son - and in rarer cases daughter since the inception of the Women's Auxiliary Airforce the previous year  - had been liked and respected as a person, as well as serving in the RAF, he felt served in some small way to assuage the inevitable grief at their loss.

_________________________

'Was?  Ach.. schiesse..'  Alfelt curled his lip in annoyance 'We've only just got the new pilots up to standard.. barely.. and OKL are thrusting us straight back into action!'

Garsteck shrugged 'Don't shoot the messenger Johann.. it's not my fault we're losing more aircraft than the Fat Man tells the Führer is it?'

They were alone in Anton's office, else he would never have dared use the uncomplimentary nickname given by some to Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering, Hitler's favoured second in command, and commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe.

Alfelt rolled his eyes 'Don't you mean Iron Man?' referring to the flattering nickname by which Goering was referred to by his contemporaries such as Ernst Udet.

Anton swung his boots off his desk and snorted derisively 'Udet's a sycophantic idiot.. Goering couldn't get his fat arse into a Heinkel never mind a Messerchmitt!'

Johann swore colourfully 'It doesn't stop him telling us how to fly the damned thing though does it?  Me! A holder of the Knight's Cross!  He's lucky I didn't..'

Anton laid a hand on his arm 'No Johann.. it's lucky for you that you did not..'

Both their minds went back to the previous year's at Karinhall - Goering's attempt at a gentleman's estate.  Alfelt had been invited with other officers to have their decorations personally presented by Goering.  He had known at the time it was a mistake to accept - his loathing for the Nazis, and in particular for those who clung to their coat-tails should have been enough to forestall any suggestion of it being a good idea, but Goering's staff had insisted as the Reichsmarschall had wanted to relive the glory days - at least that's how he had chosen to remember them - of the Western Front of the Great War where he had been a fighter pilot in the infamous Richthofen Flying Circus.  His overbearing attitude, and overblown ideas of his own successes had quickly earned Alfelt's ire.