Chapter 17

Disclaimer: This is an original work of fiction. All original characters are my own invention and any similarity to actual persons living or dead is coincidental. Where actual historical figures are mentioned any dialogue or actions attributed to them is to be similarly viewed, unless the incident concerned is a matter of historical record. 

Unsurprisingly the news of the cancelled escort mission had in the main been greeted with pleasure by the staffel's pilots, although somewhat predictably Alfelt noted sourly not by Freitag, Klentz and Toschstein; the three Nazis openly displayed irritation at being unable to, as they put it 'show the Englanders who was the Master Race.'  He felt a hand on his arm and glanced up to see Garsteck giving him a warning look; with a shrug he turned back to the men.

'So.. this does not mean you can laze around all day.  I want each of you to go to the ground crews servicing your aircraft and make sure any problems, however minor, are sorted out.'  He nodded at the senior pilots 'As you know we don't often get a lull in combat and we need to make the most of any that occur.  Once you have resolved any issues I expect to see all of you spending time in the Map Room and the Intelligence section.. especially you new pilots.  I want everyone's aircraft recognition and navigation at the top of your form before our next mission.  Clear?'

A series of nods around the room signalled acceptance of his directive, following which he turned on his heel, remarking to Garsteck 'On that note I really should go and check in with my ground crew..'  With a chuckle Garsteck nodded and followed him from the room.

_________________________

Upon their return to the airfield, in sombre mood, the pilots entered the Mess, but as they did so it was as if a weight had lifted from their shoulders; gone were the melancholy thoughtful looks, replaced by the expressions of men who knew their own time may not be long in coming, and were determined to enjoy whatever time they had.  As they entered a loud cheer went up 'Three cheers for the new pilot officers!  Hip Hip!'

Ashton smiled as Carter went beet-red while the room echoed to the cheers 'It seems the good news has spread already.. I wonder how that could have happened..'

The look of feigned innocence fooled nobody, and soon a full-scale party was underway.

Carter called over to Ashton 'I think they may have noticed the uniform alterations sir!'

Laughing Ashton replied 'I should bloody well hope so!  Short-sighted pilots are no damn good to me whatsoever!'

After about half an hour someone shouted 'Pub!'

There followed a stampede to the door whereupon all ten pilots set off on foot for the short walk to the Cornish Arms public house which had thus far been the happy recipient of many RAF nights out, being closest to the airfield.  On the way Carter sought out Rowlands who clapped him on the back smiling broadly 'Congratulations Pilot Officer Carter!'

Carter grunted at the power in the slap 'I.. err.. didn't know how my promotion would be received.. so quickly..'

Rowlands stopped and eyed him sharply 'If you mean me you daft bugger don't worry.. you deserve that promotion!  Doesn't matter how long you've been here, skipper always makes sure ability is recognised, and you're a bloody good flier.. took me three sorties to hit anything, much less get a probable!'

Carter smiled, then laughed 'Well he did have bits dropping off when I last saw him, but he was still flying, so probable is good enough for me!'

_________________________

Grinning Alfelt made his way down to Dispersal to check on his 109 and make sure everything was alright; as he walked he felt himself beginning to relax, even whistling the popular tune 'Lili Marlene.'  His reverie was brought to an unexpected halt as he rounded the corner to see his aircraft with the engine cowling removed and the head and shoulders of a mechanic peering into it with a frown on his face.  Somewhat perturbed he called over 'Was ist Franz?'