Chapter 7

“I’m fine.” I reassured. “Are you sure?” He asked helping me up. “Yeah. It hurt for a second. But I’m fine.” I responded. He nodded and tried to get me off of the ice. “No, I want to keep skating.” I told him. He nodded and held onto me tightly as we skated around the ring. One arm was wrapped around me with his hand on my waist and the other was holding onto one of my hands.

                I slipped a little bit and Nathan held me close. I glanced up at him and our eyes met. My hands were holding his shoulders and his hands were wrapped around my lower back. “Thanks.” I said turning my head away. “Of course.” He responded.

                When we got home we were greeted by my mom. “Get dressed; there are clothes for both of you on Max’s bed. We’re getting a family portrait.” He explained. “Okay.” Nathan and I responded. We were halfway up the stairs when she called out “Shower first!” “How long do we have?” I inquired. “Our appointment isn’t until six.” She replied. I was relieved to know that it was about two hours away.

                I showered first and kept a bathrobe on as I went back into my bedroom. Nathan, Jamie, Tyson, Gabe, Varly, and Paul Stastny were sitting on my bed. “Hello.” I laughed. “Hello!” Paul replied. “What are y’all doing?” I inquired watching Nathan get up to go shower. “We’re just hanging out. Caroline is kinda flirting with everyone and trying to kiss Dutchy, so I’m pretty sure he’s going to come up soon.” Jamie explained.

“But why to my room?”

“You’re the most down to earth person we’ve met… Plus we know you won’t let her into your room.”

“Fine, you can stay. But y’all have to let me get ready.” I sighed. “You won’t even know we’re here!” Gabe laughed. “Highly doubt that.” I mumbled with a smile. I looked at the dress my mom sat out on the bed for me. I rolled my eyes at the navy blue dress with a black belt for my chest. The dress won’t even go past my knees and I couldn’t get over the black belt. “Awesome.” I said sarcastically.

“You are going to look really pretty.” Gabe blushed. I laughed and shoved him. I grabbed makeup from my mom and brought it back to my room. I sat at my desk with a mirror and put my makeup on. I have never worn makeup nor do I like it, so it was all new to me. I put on winged eyeliner that I made perfect with the use of makeup remover, blush, a very light pink lipstick, and mascara.

I dried my hair and curled it so the curls were loose and natural looking. It felt awkward doing all of that in front of the guys but they were distracted by the TV. Nathan came in with a towel wrapped around his waist and grabbed his suit. All of the other guys were dressed and they looked very sharp. Nathan left and changed in the bathroom. “If you are going to stay in here turn around, I need to change.” I told the guys.

They did as I said and turned to face the wall. I stripped the bathrobe and got on a black strapless bra and matching underwear. Duchene came in wanting to get away from Caroline and I screamed throwing a pillow at him. I laughed and blushed when I saw the embarrassed look on his face. “Sorry!” He nearly shouted. “It’s fine. I don’t care. I’m mostly dressed so everyone can turn around if they want.” I said.

Everyone went back to the bed and started watching TV again. “How are you so cool with this?” Jamie questioned. “It’s like wearing a bikini for the beach. Underwear is the same thing, but it’s not acceptable in public.” I replied. I slipped the dress on but couldn’t clamp the belt in the back. “Here.” Gabe said clamping the belt. “Thanks.” I blushed.

When it was time to leave I slipped on a pair of high heels and grabbed some black converse just in case my feet started to hurt. “You look beautiful.” Matt said. All of the guys agreed and I laughed. We were almost out the door when Gabe asked for help with his tie. I walked up to him and tied it. We turned around and I saw that Jamie was filming us. “What?” I laughed. “Nothing.” He replied.

I rode with Tyson, Gabe, and Sarich. Gabe’s phone vibrated and he looked at it. “Oh my god. Jamie posted that video to twitter.” He laughed. “Let me see!” I begged holding my hand back for the phone. He handed it to me and I watched the video. I laughed but scrolled through the replies to the tweet. I was getting a lot of hate. My smile quickly faded and Gabe quickly grabbed the phone when he saw one of the comments. “Don’t listen to them.” He told me. I nodded my head and looked back to him. A smile formed across both of our lips.

When we arrived at the photography place I became self-conscious. I got out of the car and felt a hand grab mine. It was Gabe. We walked in and we were greeted by the photographer his silvery hair was spiked and he had an eyebrow piercing that I thought was really cool.

                We were almost done with the pictures when I got a phone call.

“Hello?”

“Maxine! There’s been an accident, we’re at the hospital Angela’s dead.”

“W-What?”

I heard the phone hang up and my heart dropped. Angela, my best friend, had died.