The Butler... Is Stronger Than He Looks

Alfred's POV

I cracked open the door to check on Master Richard, having heard something heavy hit the ground not to long ago. Master Bruce was in bed, but he was down the hall from where the thump had come from.

I was surprised to find him not on the bed, but on the window sill. His crutches were sitting next to him, and in his hand he held a knife. A small one, but deadly, glinting in the moon light.

All in one motion he looked towards the empty wall across from him and flung the knife sideways out the window. It would land somewhere in the backyard. His glance shifted to below him, down the 3 stories to the ground.

"If you would like a ride somewhere I'd be happy to oblige, even at this ungodly hour."

He visibly jumped as he turned to face me.

"Alfred! I, um, no I was-"

"Pardon me, I didn't mean to startle you." I lied. "I heard something fall, and thought I'd come to see if you were ok."

"I... fell out of bed. I'm not used to... one so far off the ground. I-Yeah." He said.

The young man was obviously lying. I could see it in him eyes, hear it in his voice. It had probably been a nightmare.

It was scary. Take out the fact I knew this was Richard, and a boy I call Master Bruce was sitting on the window sill. He was a spitting image of young Bruce, not to long after he lost his parents.

"Well, when you want to tell me the truth, you can talk to me. Bruce doesn't know the cameras are disabled in this room yet, and he is currently sleeping." I said, striding over to the bed to clean up the mess of blankets and pillows on the floor. "While your coming up with another excuse, witty comeback, or a way to bend the truth, would you like some hot chocolate? Tea perhaps?" I asked.

He remained silent, looking out the window.

Once the bed had been made I turned to leave, opening the door.

"I had a nightmare, ok? It's childish, and weak, and I can believe I still have them after all these years." He said.

I turned around to see him looking at him lap, his legs swung back into the manor.

"It's not childish. Master Bruce, although he will never admit it, still has nightmares. Most of the time they are about his parents."

"He hasn't been trained... not to feel... anything."

"Not by a professional, but he still tries to train himself not too." He looked at me. Again I had to correct myself. I was looking at Richard, not Bruce. "Would you like to talk about it?" I offered.

There was a pause before he answered. "...Yes."

I moved over to the bed as he moved off the window, closing it behind him.

------later------

I was about to leave, thinking he was asleep.

"Alfred?" Asked the slightly shaken, but calm voice.

"Yes Master Richard?"

"Thanks."

"Any time."

------------------------
Writing this chapter mad me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 😊 I hope it made you feel that way too!

As usual vote if you enjoyed and comment if you please!

😈🤓Stay Whelmed🤓😈