Chapter 5 - The Church

"Even the purest souls are drawn to the dark side"
~Amy Lewis

A groan escaped my lips when Mr. Tanner clapped his hands getting our attention.

"The battle of willow creek took place at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls. How many casualties resulted in this battle?"
Tanner paced along side the chalk board looking amongst the students when he noticed Bonnie doodling.

"Ms. Bennett?"
Bonnie jumped slightly and a smirk spread on my face,

"Um... A lot?"
Laughter filled the class and I smiled to myself.
Bonnie cracked me up,
"I'm not sure. But like a whole lot"

Tanner sighed and stopped his pacing looking in our direction,
"Cute becomes dumb in an instant ms. Bennett"

She looked down at her paper and I sighed,
I don't think anyone knew the hate I had for tanner.
Well,
Except for Tanner himself.

"Mr. Donovan. Would you like to take this opportunity to get rid of the dumb jock stereotype?"

Matt smiled and looked at Tanner.
"No thanks Mr. Tanner I'm good with it."

"Hmm. Elena? Surely you can enlighten us about one of our towns most historical events?"

Elena sighed and looked up at Tanner,
"I'm sorry. I don't know."
His face hardened and my blood began to boil.
I want to know excatly what his problem is with us.
I don't mind that much when he fucks with me but with Elena?
Hes officially on my list.

"I was willing to be lenient last year foe obvious reasons Elena, but the personal excesses for you and you sister ended after summer break. "

He was not about to shame my sister I front of this class, hell no.
I may not be the best, but I know when it comes to this I'm the smartest kid in here.
I mean I knew the answer,
I parted my lips to say the answer when a deep voice beside me spoke up,
"346 casualties."
I turned see Stefan looking at Tanner with a smirk on his face and I quickly finished his sentence.

"Unless you're counting the local civilians"
Tanner nodded at Stefan and me quickly and I released a small sigh. I turned to Stefan and he smiled at me softly.
Okay so he knows his history. Big deal. Just a simple question.

"That's correct. Mr?"
"Salvatore"

Salvatore? Sounds Italian,

"Salvatore? An relations to the original settelers here in Mystic Falls?"

By now the whole class was watching the conversation thing between Tanner and Stefan.
Stefan seemed so collected talking to Tanner, but at the same time. He also seemed a little annoyed with him.

"Distant"
I grinned at his response and leaned back in my chair. Let's just hope they keep this little convo going long enough to last the rest of class.

"Very good. Except of course for the fact that there were no civilian casualties in this battle Blaine."

I rolled my eyes and sat back up,
He should know by now not to argue with me.
I went to reply when once again Stefans voice stopped me.

"Actually Blaine was right, there were 27, Mr. Tanner. Confederate soldiers they fired on a church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. Its a night of great loss"

Tanner shuffled around on his feet and I smiled,
Okay 2 bonus points for Stefan. One for sticking up for me. And one for putting Tanner in his place.

"The founders archives are stored in civil Hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts"

Oh shit.
Oh shit.
Ohshitohshitohshitttttt

Maybe Salvatore is gonna be in the clear. I mean he just earned himself 4 more bonus points for roasting the shit out of Tanner.

Tanner was left speechless and just continued on with the leason quickly.
I mentally highfived Stefan and then my eyes went back to the board.