4.

Elena woke up on the floor, her tears dried and her face stiff. She brought herself up, wrapping her clothes tighter around her. The fire had died but the pot still sat there, waiting for someone to take it off. Waiting for someone to share in its contents. Her stomach heaved at the thoughts of last night, she glanced up, the spider still spinning its web. She mechanically stoked the fire, watching the flames roar to life before she threw her clothes onto it, she couldn't look at them again, even if she froze tonight. The cold seemed to seep from inside her, extending to her fingers as they shook in her own freezing hell. She quietly walked into the bedroom and changed, she grabbed the sleeping Greta, wrapped tightly in her furs and placed her on the table. She got ready to leave, her new boots on her feet, supplies in the basket and the cloak wrapped protectively around her, Greta sitting snuggly underneath.

"Where do you think you're going?" A gruff voice called out from the bedroom.

His harsh voice rattled the house as if it even objected to him. Elena couldn't bring herself to face him.

"Out." She whispered.

The sound of steal sliding against wood caused her to turn as he held his axe. Elena took a few steps back from the door. His eyes followed her as she moved towards the kitchen, placing the basket down on the table. He casually strolled over, no remorse about his actions last night and imbedded the axe in the table.

"Breakfast." He stated.

Elena could see her reflection in the axe, her wide meadow green eyes staring at the piece of steel, travelled up the handle to his own hard eyes. She meekly nodded and started cooking porridge. Her burning fire inside snuffed out like a candles flame. Her hands shaking as she measured out the ingredients. Greta slept snuggled close to her, Elena was glad that she wouldn't witness any of this.

She set the steaming bowl of porridge in front of him and waited for him to start eating. He glanced up at her, her bright red cloak still wrapped around her.

"Where'd you get that from?" He said through his mouthful.

"It was a gift." She quietly added.

His eyes scrutinised the cloak and the wolf fur underneath.

"From who?"

"Eat up." She smiled, hoping to distract him.

"From who?" He said sternly, glaring at her.

"Jillian." She breathed out.

"That bitch, how dare she undermine me." He growled.

"You don't want to be late." Elena turned to look out the window, watching the sun climb steadily higher in the sky, the grey sky only growing whiter.

The bowl scrapped across the wooden table as Elena finally turned to face him, he pulled the axe out in one smooth motion and placed it into his belt.

"I expect food when I get back." He stormed towards the door, his boots already on his feet.

"What time would that be?" Elena questioned.

"When I get back." He snapped, his teeth flashing at her.

The door shook as he slammed it. Snow slid off the roof and rushed past the window. Elena watched as he trudged through the snow, his axe glinting in the rising sunlight. Her dread receding with each step he took. Greta woke up with a cry and Elena nursed her.

"Don't worry. I won't let him hurt you." She whispered to the babe, stroking her soft forehead.

Elena gently shut the door behind her and made her way through the cold, the cloak tight against Greta as she headed confidently into the tree line. She knew of only one way to save Greta from the mistakes she had made. The forest was quieter than yesterday, the snow deeper than before as she carefully trudged through, her cloak skimming across the top of the snow, like a leaf on water. Her heart guided her to the stone cottage, the smoke already spiralling out of the chimney and she knew she was home. Greta wriggled against her, tired of being contorted into an uncomfortable position, she wanted to spread her body and explore. Elena knocked, knowing that Jillian would take her in no matter what. Jillian's face appeared and looked her over, a small bruise was already building on Elena's cheek and Jillian pulled a small frown.

"Come in." She said quietly.

The air had staled inside the cottage, as if all those lovely smells had evaporated in the night. All those things that filled Elena with wonder, now turned to dust and ash beneath her feet. Jillian ushered her into the patchwork chair and Elena flopped down with relief. She was safe, her heart melted as the chair worked its way inside her, filling her with calming memories and remembered sentiments.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jillian asked, sitting opposite her. The concern poured out of her grey eyes like a river.

Elena shook her head. It was only yesterday that she had sat in this room and defended him, explained how much of a sweetheart he really was. Jillian had been right, he was a wolf in sheep's clothing and she had finally seen his fangs. Elena burst into tears, her cries echoing out from her as Jillian pulled her into a hug. Elena's tears streamed down her cheeks, she couldn't stop them, not now, not after what he did. The memory only brought a new set of sobs as her chest tore itself apart, some part still loving him despite everything and she hated that part in her. She wanted it to burn in the same pit that her hope had been thrown into. Greta twisted beneath her, a strangled cry reaching out.

"Did you bring someone to see me?" Jillian asked, a lightness entering her voice.

Elena nodded through the tears and opened her cloak, revealing the chubby face of her beautiful little angel.

"This is Greta." She whispered through her tears.

"Oh, she's a lovely little one. I remember when you were this big, had that same little expression on your face as well. Always looked at world with such curiosity and excitement." Elena could see Jillian's blurry smile through her tears. Jillian lifted her out, Greta giving only a single cry of protest and brought her over to the airy kitchen. She cooed at the little one, tickling her belly as Greta gave little giggles that sung to Elena's ears.

"We need to put some snow on that face of yours." Jillian said, nodding towards the growing bruise on her cheek.

"It's okay. It's not as bad as the other ones." Elena shrugged, wiping her eyes of the remaining tears.

"What did he do to you?" Jillian whispered darkly. The pain and shock sitting plainly on her face.

Elena looked away, unable to face the question in her eyes, unable to speak those words that could cause her downfall. She snuggled into the chair, letting the fire warm her, hoping it would melt the ice that flowed through her veins.