5.

She woke up to the darkening sky, the clouds heavy and thick as the sun sat below them. The gentleness of candle light surrounded her as she jumped up. Her only thoughts of Greta. Jillian appeared and glanced over at her worried face.

"Don't worry, she's sleeping. Gorgeous little one you have. Sometimes people aren't so lucky. Let me make you some tea. Just sit down and relax." Jillian's soft voice reached out to Elena and soothed her.

Elena's body relaxed, reminding herself of where she was and that she was safe from him. "Let me help." She responded, her hands needing something to occupy themselves.

Jillian let her, knowing how she must be feeling and trying to ease her. They worked quietly together, enjoying the comfortable silence that entrapped them. They sat back down in their chairs, watching the flames flicker and the wood crackle as time passed. The sky grew darker and Elena grew jittery, her cup shaking in her hands as night time continued to roll onwards.

"He's going to find me." Elena whispered to the dark.

"Don't worry, he won't get you." Jillian soothed.

Elena shook her head, terrified of what he'd do when he found the house cold and abandoned. She quickly stood up and started extinguishing the candles.

"If he thinks we're not here, maybe he'll leave." Elena muttered to herself, hoping to protect Greta. All she cared about was Greta.

Jillian reluctantly assisted her, knowing that it would ease her tensions. When darkness rained down they sat back down in their chairs, the fire burning lower and Elena's grip only tightened around the cup.

The wind picked up, pushing the snow against the windows as Elena stared wide eyed out of them. Jillian had reluctantly gone to bed, only after Elena swore up and down that she was coming soon, that she wouldn't stay up worrying. She had already gone to check on Greta, staring down at the sleeping babe in the moonlight before retreating back to the warmth. Her body started to relax, her mind easing itself into believing that he wasn't going to appear, that his drunkenness had put him straight to sleep. A knock pounded against the door and Elena covered her mouth, suppressing the scream building in her throat. He pounded harder, the door shaking under the force.

"YOU BITCH!" He screamed. "GIVE ME BACK MY PROPERTY." His words slurred together.

Elena could feel her heart beating against her rib cage as he continued to pound on the door, she could hear the crunch of snow as he walked around the house. His nostrils flaring, his hair wild around his face. Elena prayed the darkness was enough to cover her, that the moonlight wouldn't give her position away. Shattering glass shook her, his hand punched through the window, blood slowly dripping down and glass shards embedded in his knuckles. The sound seemed to only bother her, the soft snoring of Jillian drifted from the bedroom.

"I WANT HER BACK!" He screamed through the open window, spit flying from his mouth.

Elena sat silently, her whole body shaking as the footsteps continued around the house, each crunch sending a knife driving deeper into her heart. The glass above her shattered, sending a spray of shards onto her, cutting her arms as she protected herself. She screamed, unable to control it this time and crawled away, the glass burying into her palms and knees. His enraged face stared through the window, his blue eyes turbulent like the sea as he stared down at her.

"There you are." He drawled. He grinned sadistically, his teeth shining like fangs in the moonlight. "Open the door."

Elena shook her head and ran out of the room, desperate to get away from him. She shut the bedroom door and woke up Jillian.

"He's here." She whispered, her eyes frantically searching the room, expecting him to burst through at any point.

Jillian rubbed her eyes and opened her mouth.

"OPEN THE DOOR!" His voice screamed from outside, like a wolf circling on its prey.

Elena glanced at the door and back at Jillian.

"Don't." Jillian whispered, knowing exactly what she was thinking.

"Protect her, please." Elena begged.

She watched the old woman's eyes dull as she nodded her head, her loose skin jiggling with the swift movement. Elena reached over and kissed her baby girl one last time, letting her bitter tears fall onto her head, Greta stirred but did not wake. Elena left the room and made her way to the front door, that solid wood that had stood for years, held firm as she took a deep breath. Elena could hear his crunching footsteps as he paced in front of the door, so much like a wolf, she waited for her moment and opened it. Running out into the brewing snow storm, praying that her daughter would grow up in peace.