1 | Arthur

There are many events in one's life that cannot be forgotten. These are the experiences that shape us. They make us who we are - for better or worse. Such as the day it all began. That was something Stephanie would never forget. How could she forget the beginning of the end after all?

It was a cold Saturday. Perhaps the coldest that winter. The frosty morning air filled Stephanie's lungs as she lay in bed thinking of home. In the December of 2013 Stephanie and her father both watched San Fransisco grow smaller and smaller from the tiny window of the aeroplane which would take them to Virginia. Although four years had passed since, a part of her still remained in San Fransisco in the small apartment where she took her first steps and spoke her first words. Where her mother roamed. The thought of her mother always brought sorrowful rage. When she'd ask why her mother left them, her father's response would be vague. He would say something along the lines of 'Adults get confused sometimes. Your mother and I love you very much. We always will.' Stephanie stopped asking after a year. She often thought about what life could have been like if they had not moved to Vienna and if her mother decided to stay.

The thought of a happy life with both her mom and dad was something that regularly crossed Stephanie's mind. She knew it could never happen, but she couldn't help but wonder. Stephanie often absently stared out of her room window at the empty street and allowed her mind to run wild. There was rarely any activity in Maple Street, besides the coming and going of neighbours and many crisp leaves being carried away with the wind. The thing Stephanie loved most about Virginia was her neighbourhood. It was quiet, peaceful and it allowed her to think clearly. She enjoyed thinking as much as she enjoyed sleeping - and that's a lot.

"Steph," Mr. Watson, Stephanie's father, said with hesitation. He kept his voice soft, "What's going on in that head of yours?"
Mr. Watson always made sure to consider his daughter's feelings in everything he did. He made an effort to make her feel loved, because he knew she still thought of what happened between him and his wife. Stephanie knew exactly what her father was trying to do and it just made her even more emotional.

"Just go away, dad," Stephanie sighed. She didn't want her father to see her cry. He was one of the reasons she was never satisfied with life. She wanted a father that was real. Someone she could shout at when she got mad and cry on when she felt sad. She couldn't do that, because she tried to keep her father happy.

Mr. Watson slowly disappeared from his daughter's room door and, in the next room, fisted what remained of his hair. He heavily exhaled and prayed to dear God that Stephanie had not heard his mini-breakdown.

Stephanie loved her father very much and they had their moments. Their moments were pure gold. She felt the happiest when she got along with her dad. The memories always brought a little smile to her face.

"Dad!" Stephanie shouted as she quickly rushed downstairs, remembering that she still had to get ready to babysit the neighbour's kid.

"Dad!" she shouted once more.

"Stephanie!" her dad shouted in the same frantic tone of voice. Except, he wore a teasing smile and had a mischievous glint in his eyes.

That was their relationship. They were always walking on eggshells. One moment the air would be tense and the next Stephanie and her dad would be awfully playful.

Stephanie ignored her dad's mockery and flew around the kitchen, preparing her breakfast.

"Some help would be nice," she muttered and looked at her father with narrowed eyes.

"It would. Wouldn't it?" Mr. Watson joked, before quickly preparing some toast and juice.
"Get dressed before I change my mind," he grinned.

When she finally managed to make herself presentable, Stephanie ate her breakfast before walking across the road to the Evans' house. The Evans' household consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Evans and their two sons, Arthur and Leroy.

Arthur was the same age as Stephanie and they attended the same school, but the only interacting they ever did was exchanging greetings. Stephanie thought Arthur was rather rude, but she always shrugged it off. He never spoke to anyone and when he did, it was always very brief. In all honesty, she found him frustrating.

Leroy, on the other hand was a total cutie. He was extremely lovable, mischievous and quite intelligent for his age. He once visited Stephanie just to show off his gold star that he got at school, which was barely sticking to his forehead. His toothy - minus one front tooth - grin made her giggle. He was absolutely adorable, although at times he could be quite a demon.

Mr. and Mrs. Evans were at a work function and they asked Stephanie to take care of Leroy, because Arthur was always doing his own thing and they needed someone to keep an eye on the inquisitive kid. Stephanie, of course, could not say no.

Stephanie stood before the Evans' door and found herself face to face with an angry brown-haired boy when the door opened.

"Hi, Arthur," she awkwardly smiled. She was greeted with silence.

Arthur slammed the door shut when Stephanie stepped into the house and immediately went upstairs. He didn't bother looking at her.

What's his problem?

"Hey, Roy!" Stephanie called.

She heard her name being called in excitement followed by loud footsteps.

"Stephanie!" Leroy exclaimed.
"Mom and dad already left," he began explaining, "and I was sooo bored! I asked Arthur to play with me, but he never does anyway."

"Yeah? How long ago did they leave?" Stephanie raised her eyebrows. Leroy tended to over-exaggerate.

"I dunno. Five minutes?" He seemed genuinely confused so Stephanie just sighed an ruffled his hair. They spent the rest of the day playing and talking until Leroy fell asleep on the couch.

Stephanie watched the boy with a warm heart. His small face at rest put a smile on her face. She laughed when she noticed how his eyes were slightly open and his cheek squashed against the sofa. Then suddenly, she remembered that she had to be home for dinner. Stephanie decided to text Mrs. Evans to find out what time they would be home.

Steph: Hi, Mrs. Evans. Everything is going great
here. Leroy just fell asleep. Do you
perhaps know what time
you will be home?

After thirty minutes there was still no reply so Stephanie decided to ask Arthur instead. She had a mental debate and her voice of reason ended up winning. She thought it would be too awkward if she went and knocked on Arthur's room door, but she had to get home so, with an unwilling attitude, she made her way upstairs.

She sighed loudly when she noticed the furthest room's light was on. Must be Arthur.

"Arthur?" she called.

There was no response. Stephanie knocked on the room door at the end of the passage, but there was still no response.

"Arthur, I'm coming in," she braced herself.

Slowly pushing the door open, Stephanie's heart threatened to escape her ribcage. She could hear her violent heartbeat. Shut up, heart.

Stephanie was definitely not prepared for what she saw behind that door. Her heart instantly silenced. Shivers ran down her spine. She felt absolutely numb.

No. No no no. Nonononono.

×××

(A/N)

Hi, I hope you enjoyed this. I promise, I will not disappoint. Okay? Cool. If you're reading this, thank you so much! Idk if people will actually read this...

This was extremely rough. It kinda went from bad to horrible, but you gotta start somewhere right?

Also, please leave suggestions. Constructive criticism is always welcome. I'll try my best to update daily.

Great.