this is why we don't cook (1.4k)

ashton decides he wants to make some spaghetti and luke volunteers to help.

Idk I thought that Instagram video was really cute so I decided to write a one-shot

---

If you were to ask Luke and Ashton why they were bouncing around a supermarket at eight o'clock at night, you wouldn't get an answer. You wouldn't get a logical one, anyway. They're hopping from one aisle to the next, dropping various food items into the basket Luke's holding, and making far more noise than necessary. But they don't really care. No one else is in the supermarket at this hour, anyway.

The boys had spent a long day recording in the studio and there was no food in the house except for some yogurt cups. Ashton said that he wanted to make spaghetti, not for any particular reason, which was strange, considering he could barely even cook. Michael and Calum thought it was stupid to go shopping at this hour just to make spaghetti, but Luke never thought Ashton was stupid, so he promised to help. The two boys hopped over to the laptop and printed off a simple recipe (because simple is what they were capable of) before heading off to the store.

They're whizzing through the place like a couple of excited middle-school boys, and neither of them is exactly sure why they're so excited to cook spaghetti. Luke reminds Ashton to be quiet when he laughs really loudly at a jar of spaghetti sauce. 

"Why?" Ashton says. He glances over at the checkout clerk who appears to be a young college student, lazily scrolling through his phone. "He doesn't care." Luke looks over and accepts what Ashton's said, allowing Ashton to continue laughing at the jar of sauce. There's nothing funny about the jar of sauce, but oh well. 

Soon they're back at the house with plastic bags of groceries in their hands. It's dark and cold outside and they're way more enthusiastic about cooking spaghetti than they should be, so they're in the kitchen quickly. They can hear the faint sound of Michael and Calum shouting at the television in the other room; they're probably playing videogames. Ashton has a recipe in his hand and Luke's grabbing the items out of the bags and setting them on the island countertop as Ashton reads off the list.

As soon as they've double-checked their ingredients, Ashton claps his hands together.

"Right, let's get to work! I need a large pot."

"A what?"

It takes a combined effort to find a large pot, apparently, and even with both of them opening and shutting cabinet doors, Ashton's pretty sure that taking five whole minutes to find a "large pot" is a little extreme.

After a long series of clanging and crashing sounds, Luke waves the large pot in front of Ashton's face.

"I won." Luke teasingly smacks his hand on the back of Ashton's head as a victory announcement, because apparently it was a competition.

"You're not funny." Ashton tries to pout but ends up giggling instead.

Ashton reads the next step out loud while Luke sets the pot on the stove. 

"It says we need three quarts of water." Ashton opens the cabinet above the stove and pulls out a large, clear measuring cup. With the cup in one hand and the page of instructions in the other, Ashton holds the cup under the tap while Luke runs the water. Luke must've been blanking out because he fails to turn off the tap before the water begins pouring over the edges and onto Ashton's hand. Ashton shouts Luke's name in annoyance before jolting the cup up and spraying Luke in the face with some of the water.

"Dude!" Luke groans. Some of the water soaks through his Vans shirt, so he lightly kicks Ashton in the shin for that. The cup topples out of Ashton's hand in mid-air as soon as Luke's foot comes into contact with his shin, soaking the wooden floor beneath them. Ashton laughs sarcastically before telling Luke to go fuck himself.