Avalon

The sunlight through my thin bedroom curtains woke me. I actually felt somewhat rested. I should let Mateo sleep with me more often if it meant he wasn't going to cry as much throughout the night.

I leaned over to the sleeping boy and placed a light kiss on his chubby face. I smiled as his eyes slowly opened and he smiled revealing his toothless grin.

"Hi baby." I cooed and he screamed with happiness.

I pushed myself off the somewhat soft mattress and leaned down scooping Mateo into my arms.

"How did my handsome little man sleep?" I asked as I scrunched up my face.

I grabbed a bottle from the fridge and placed it in the microwave. Once it was done I tested it on my wrist before placing it into Mateo's mouth.

Once he had finished about half of his bottle he pushed it out of his mouth and began to squirm, signaling that he wanted me to put him down.

I walked into his room and placed him in the crib before going across the hall in mine and stripping from my sweats and shirt. I dug through my dresser and retrieved a pair of shorts and a tank.

I usually never went on jogs but after the night I had thinking about no one else but Alex I felt like it would help keep my mind busy.

I returned back to Mateo's room and quickly changed him into a white onesie and placed him in his stroller pushing it out the door, ignoring the white eviction paper hanging on my door, and onto the sidewalk.

I broke out into a slow jog, pushing the stroller in front of me.

****

After about a half an hour I ended up in front of a small bright yellow building. The sign hung above the door read Sarah Lynn's Cafe in bold pink letters.

I parked Mateo's stroller outside and brought him into my arms.

The small building wasn't very busy on the inside but it still took a few minutes before I was able to place my order.

"Avalon?" I heard a small voice ask from behind me.

I turned coming face to face with a dark skinned girl. Her dark brown hair rested against her shoulders and her caramel eyes looked at me with excitement.

She had looked familiar but I was able to make out where I knew her from.

"Stacy." She stated. "Stacey Kline, our boyfriends went to start a band in high school?"

She was Zeke's girlfriend. Zeke had been Alex's best friend since grade school.

"Yes, I remember now." I smiled up at her, she was slightly taller then me. Everyone was taller then me considering I was only 5'3.

"How have you been?" She asked and her eyes immediately shot down to the small child in my arms.

"You've been busy." She answered her own question and reached out to play with Mateo's hands.

"This is Mateo." I said with excitement.

I had never really introduced Mateo to anyone. Once Alex had left I was on my own, I finished high school with no friends and went through his birth on my own.

"Where do you live now?" She asked, her eyes still glued on Mateo. "We'll have to meet up sometime."

"I'm getting evicted from my trailer at the end of the week, so I'm not really sure where I'm going to be." I really wasn't trying to get her to pity me, I was just being honest.

"That's terrible!" She gasped. "You can stay with me and Zeke. We have a huge extra guest room in our apartment."

Before I could politely decline her offer she placed her hand on my back and guided me out of the cafe.

"What about all my stuff?" I asked concerned.

"My boyfriends famous." She laughed. "We can buy you all new stuff."