2.) The Breakdown

Disclaimer: This was originally my first one-shot called Rage, Betrayal and Despair. I decided to rename it for this story and made a couple adjustments.

I would like to WARN YOU beforehand that THIS IS NOT A HAPPY CHAPTER and CONTAINS MAJOR NEGATIVE FEELS. (I've gotten complaints of no warnings although I said so in the description and in my author's notes...but oh well. )

Other than that, I hope you enjoy. 😁
________________________________________________

I blearily opened my eyes to find myself dangling from chains embedded into the farthest wall of a dim, dank and rancid-smelling cell. I didn't waste time thrashing against them since I knew I wouldn't be able to break free. Moving would have irritated the burning pains on my sides and abdomen anyway.

My pride took a serious blow knowing they successfully ambushed us, but at the time, I was trying to protect a certain rebellious female. Of course, the stubborn woman insisted on fighting. Now, I'm injured in an unknown place for attempting to save her feminist personage!

Despite my circumstances, I still worried if she was okay. I hadn't seen what happened to her once I was knocked unconscious. Anger flared at the thought of her being harmed, but rage burned even more at the fact that he knows. He's figured out Lilly's association with me. After all my careful and meticulous planning, watching over her in order to protect her and my secret affairs, he still managed to discover our relationship as employer and subordinate.

Thinking of the things he could do with that information agitated me even more.

Out of the darkness within my cell, the loud creak of a non-oiled door rung out. Arrogant footsteps echoed against the stone floor, immediately notifying me of who was coming. He came to a stop in front of the cell and peered in. A slow smile resembling that of a snake grew on his face when he discovered me awake with no means of escape.

"I see you are enjoying my accommodations. Quite lovely if I don't say so myself," he taunted, keeping that same venomous smile of his glued to his face.

I didn't bother giving an answer. He knew me well enough to not expect a reply.

"Oh, old friend. It's marvelous seeing you like this. I had an itching suspicion about Miss Linton's connection with you. It wasn't until I came across a certain news article discussing you and your bad-mannered secretary, Mister Linton, that I connected the dots."

I froze, registering his words. Quick anger shot through me as I realized. The bloody woman! She's the reason for him finding out! She would pay for this when we got out.

"I knew there was something between you two when you devoted most of your attention to her at that ball we both attended. Her suspiciously vague answer about not remembering when you first met and the lack of an introduction between you two assisted me as well. Seems like you weren't as smart and careful as you believed​," he let out a grating laugh that would have sounded pleasant to those who didn't know the evil lurking beneath that innocent facade. I knew better though.

"What's even better is that you've developed feelings for her! Not only have you employed a female, but you have fallen for a pudgy, poorly raised woman with gender confusion!" he chuckled. "I have to say Rikkard, you really know how to pick them."

His words about Lillian lit a flame of scorn and contempt for the man before me. Though I've loathed him for years now, his flippant words against such a strong, stupidly courageous, but unshakably loyal Ifrit of a woman made my blood boil for some unfathomable reason.