Epilogue

Two Weeks Later

The large room was completely silent, not a cough or whisper breaking the somber mood of the individuals gathered within the chamber. With a drawn out groan, the single door on the left side of the room was slowly pushed open, allowing the fifty members of the Wizengamot to enter. Parading to their places upon the upraised benches, the plum robed witches and wizards quietly arranged themselves. In moments they were all seated and staring out over the small crowd, their eyes narrowed and stern. Seated at the very center of the Wizengamot, Cornelius Fudge shuffled his sheaf of parchment and swallowed noticeably.

Harry wiggled in discomfort, the wood of the bench he was perched upon creaking in protest. The pale hand resting on his knee tightened in warning, bringing his restless shifting to a halt. Slumping back against the dark wood, he dropped his hand onto Draco's and tangled their fingers together. His eyes wandered over the severe expressions plastered on the faces of the old witches and wizards sitting before him. Gritting his teeth, he glanced over his shoulder at the people crammed into the bench behind him. He attempted a smile when Hermione nodded and gave him a quick thumb up, tipping his chin slightly so he could locate Remus among his supporters. A relieved sigh slipped past his lips when the werewolf winked at him, his body relaxing one muscle at a time.

Banging his gavel to bring the wizarding court back into session, Cornelius Fudge pursed his lips and glared at the papers he held. With a moue of regret, he raised his eyes and addressed the group. "After careful consideration and deliberation, we, the Wizengamot, declare the Mage Dragons a protected species."

Harry leapt to his feet with a whoop of joy, right fist pumping the air above his head. Around him, his friends rose up, clapping loudly and hugging each other. Ignoring the Minister's futile attempts to regain control of the court, the raven-haired wizard dragged Draco to his feet and threw his arms around his waist. Seeing the same excited gleam in the blond's pale eyes, he slammed their lips recklessly together in a congratulatory kiss. The surprised grunt his sudden attack drew forth had him chuckling and pressing closer, gliding his hands up and down the smooth planes of the blond's back. Mindlessly massaging, Harry continued to happily suck and nibble on the Draco's upper lip.

A sharp ache erupted in the back of his skull and he gasped in pain, coughing as Draco took the opportunity to plunge his tongue into his gaping mouth. Pushing away from the blond, he slid a hand through his hair and gingerly felt the lump growing on the back of his skull. Narrowing his emerald orbs, he turned and glared at the tall blond who sat directly behind him. Curling a lip in a silent snarl when Lucius merely widened his eyes and changed his grip on the silver head of the cane he held, Harry rubbed the back of his head and glanced at his friends.

The shocked expressions they wore had his face reddening and he quickly spun around to look at the Wizengamot. His blush grew as the respectable members of the court stared at him in outright surprise, whispering softly back and forth. Clearing his throat, Harry gave the group a small wave before grabbing Draco's hand and towing him quickly from the room. He ignored the inappropriate catcalls that trailed after them, hazarding a quick look around the dark hallway outside the dungeon courtroom before making a run for the entrance.

"Slow down," Draco ordered lazily, making an effort to appear serene and collected as he was pulled through the corridors and open rooms of the Ministry. He squeezed the hand held within his own, trying to soothe away the raven-haired wizard's embarrassment with a comforting touch.

Slowing his pace slightly, Harry tossed a peek over his shoulder and arched an eyebrow. The movement sent shafts of pain racing through the back of his head and he immediately reached to touch the throbbing bump. Glowering angrily, he lightly stroked his injury. "Your father hit me," he accused as they reached the dark hall where the Fountain of Magical Brethren stood, the golden figures shining brightly.