Forty Four.

Harry's pov;

As the words from Aria's mouth escaped, my heart dropped and sank in the bottom of my stomach. I felt uneasy listening to the way she was treated by her own boyfriend, a little over a year ago. How much of a monster can somebody be, to treat a girl like Aria in a way so cruel?

Aria is the girl I've learned to care for and have strange feelings for, for the few months she has been here. She's a pure soul, a kind soul that cares about others. It never made sense to me that something this bad could have happened to her. She always had a brave and honest face on, she made me feel like she was better than she appears to be. I would have never guessed the severity of the situation.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how incapable I am of treating her how she deserves. As selfish as I am, I have brought more danger in her life without knowing she has har enough already. And as much as I want to try and protect her, cherish her and have her in my life, I understand it is impossible to keep her happy. If she dives deep into my life, she will get hurt and I have already passed so many limits. I would never want her to get hurt because of me.

My mind stumbles across memories, memories of a time that I was happy and still sane. Pictures of Emily in my arms as we sat on the fresh grass of the valley full of flowers, flash by. Her sweet, gentle laugh ringing in my head, the only sound that I could hear besides the light breeze. Her blonde hair blown by the wind. The way her fingers curled and intertwined with mine, the way her touch made me feel, the nostalgia of those times rushed through me and I wish I could give that to Aria. But if I give her that, she will end up the same as Emily did. With pale skin, lifeless eyes and broken heart. Life being sucked out of her in an instant.

Thinking of Aria in the same state, sends shivers down my spine and I feel a lump in my throat, forgetting how to breathe for a second. I can't do that to her, she deserves so much better. She deserves somebody that will love her and someone that will be able to protect her. And I'm not that person, nor will I ever be.

I took a deep breath and reached over to take my hands into hers. Her hands were cold and rough, not as soft as they always are and not warm. "I am so sorry. I'm so sorry that I wasn't there to do something about. You didn't deserve that" I shook my head. A wave of guilt washed over me. If I knew her then, I might have done something about her. But I'm so stupid, that is impossible, it was random that I met her in the first place and it only brought more trouble and chaos than calmness in her life.

"There wasn't any way, anyone could help me. It was a lost cause, I was the naïve one in the situation. Please don't think like that" She said. The moon reflected, giving light to her dark eyes, hiding a bit of deep red undertone in them. I envied anyone that could wake up next to those eyes in the morning. I envied Mark, who was able to see those beautiful, magical eyes every day and I hated him for not loving them the way they should be loved.

"Have I made it worse?" I asked her, begging for her to tell me yes. Begging for her to give me a reason to walk away without feeling guilty about it.

"No, in no way have you made my life worse, Harry. You even made it-"

"Don't" I shook my head and stood on my two feet.

"Better. You made it better, why shouldn't I say that you did?" She asked me, repeating my action, standing in front of me. She is dangerously close to me, I am tempted to take her in my arms, desperate to feel her lips touch mine and let her travel me to an imaginary world where I won't be able to hurt her. But reality hits me every single time I look into those eyes for too long.

"Because it's not right. I'm so sorry that I can't do anything about it. Just please. Give me a reason. Tell me what I have done wrong" I said.

"Why would I ever do that? Harry, are you crazy? The only way I can say something bad is if I lie" She said. Her eyebrows were knitted together in confusion.