02. The Lilly of the Ball

Mr. Ambrose had gone out attending to some matters and when he came back he rapped his fist on the door. Thunk. Thunk. Thunk. 'Mr. Linton, open this door at once! I have some very important matters to discuss with you.' Scurrying to the door I pulled, but it wasn't budging. I tried again, but still no result. Ah, gone was Rikkard and in his place was the stone cold granite mountain of Mr. Ambrose. He insisted that no matter what, he wasn't going to let a lady work in his office, so I still wore my trousers and coat hidden in the garden shed to work every day.

 'Mr. Ambrose, sir, it's not budging!' With one final tug, I yanked the doorknob and fell to the ground, yet the door remained closed.

 'Mr. Linton, are you in need of assistance? You surely know how to open a door, like any sane person, correct?' Why you little son of a bachelor! Of course I know how to open a door you mountain! Curse you chauvinistic arrogant men! I took a deep breath before walking to the door and doing what any sane person would do. I kicked the door. 'Open!' Kick 'This!' Kick 'Door!' Kick 'You!' Kick 'Pig!' Kick 'Of!' Kick 'A!' Kick 'Man! Open it! Open it! OPEN IT!' I yanked the doorknob, expecting it to not budge, but instead the door swung open with the force of my pull, causing me to fly in the air and onto my derriere. The swung open door revealed Mr. Ambrose, staring unamusedly at me with a stack of files in his hand. He closed the door and stalked towards me like a lion hunting a gazelle. 

 'Mr. Linton, I expected better of you. How can you not be able to open a door?' he was closing in on me when unexpectedly he dropped the files onto the desk and offered a hand. THIS was Rikkard, not Mr. Ambrose. he pulled me up, but I was still very angry with him. 

 'Maybe if I fail to meet your expectations, I should just leave and go find a man who's standards are low enough for me,' I mumbled. suddenly Mr. Ambrose whipped his head around to pierce me with his beautiful eyes. He backed me into a wall and towered over me.

 'Lillian Linton, you will do no such thing! Your imperfections are good enough for me and I will not have you going off with another man! The thought alone makes my blood boil.' My heart stopped beating for a moment then. He then swooped in like an eagle and captured my lips with his, giving me the most passionate kiss we had ever shared. Abruptly, he moved away and walked toward the door. 'Mr. Linton, the files on your desk are for you, look over them and come back to me with an answer.' He went in to his office, leaving me to wonder what was on my desk. It was then that a golden envelope captured my eye. Intrigued, I grasped the envelope and- oh my word, it was real gold! I carefully opened it and inside was an invitation.  

 My heart lurched

 My heart lurched. James Allen, THE James Allen, invited Mr. Ambrose to THE Ball of Love and Mr. Ambrose wanted ME to go with him?! Oh my goodness, what was I going to wear? I would have to get something custom made for the Ball of Love and then.... oh no, how was I going to tell my aunt and sisters?! I couldn't do this!

 But Lilly you MUST! It's the Ball of Love and the man you love has invited you to go with him. 

  Ah, curse you blasted inner voice! I must go with him, but how was I going to be able to prepare in time? The ball would be in two weeks' time and that wasn't nearly enough time to be able to prepare my dress. I shifted my thoughts to the back of my mind and picked up the rest of the files. There were three other envelopes. The first was addressed to me, and when I opened it- my lord! There was about 130 euros in here, all for me to buy an outfit! The second was about 100 euros for me to pick Mr. Ambrose an outfit, and the third was 50 euros to get a good carriage. With all this money, I, Lillian Linton, was going to be the Belle of the Ball- no wait, the Lilly of the Ball, and I was going with one of the most eligible bachelors of London! If only my aunt could hear me now!