04. Ball is in Your Court

Inside the carriage was Mr. Ambrose looking extremely handsome with his new suit. He wore a midnight suit to match me, and it was even bordered with gold just like my dress. His pocket watch was still in his pocket like always, and he had a gold handkerchief in his breast pocket. As the door opened, he turned his head and his eyes widened. He stared at me like I was an angel sent from heaven and then quickly snapped out of it, composing himself. He climbed out of the carriage just to offer me a hand, so that I could climb into the carriage without straining myself too much. After letting me inside and making sure I was very comfortable, he clambered in after me and sat in the seat across from me.

 'Ms. Linton, you look absolutely breathtaking tonight. I'm so glad you told Sir James Allen that we would be coming tonight, because I know it's going to be wonderful.' I smiled at that, processing all his words-

 'Wait, I  didn't accept his invitation! I thought you did Mr. Ambrose!' He stared at me stony eyed as I became frozen at my error.

 'Ms. Linton, you dressed for a ball. I gave you money to spend on a ball. So, therefore, we are going. To. A. Ball.' He said it with such assuredness that I calmed down a little bit, but only a little. My confidence had now disappeared and I was shaking with worry. Lilly you dummy! How could you forget to respond to something as important as an invitation to the BIGGEST  ball in all of London! You are going to be in SOOO much trouble with Mr. Ambrose. Karim had stopped the carriage and had announced us at Marchioness Hall.

 I realized we were 10 minutes late as I stepped out of the carriage and saw no one. Glancing around, I marveled at the beauty in front of us. The outside of the hall was ornately decorated with lanterns and there was an outdoor area for people to socialize after dinner. Drapes of red and pink were strung along the outer walls, and there was a sea of red, pink, and white dresses in front of me.

 We made our way up the steps, the chirping of cicadas the only sound. We walked to the front entrance and the guards opened the doors, not even having to ask who we were or if they could see our invitation.

 We walked inside the building, and it was still deathly silent. We got to another set of double doors,and as we got nearer, the guards got ready to open the doors. They opened them, and the hum of conversation lulled as the sound of the massive doors opening loudly cut through all the conversation. We were on top of a balcony of sorts, and there were two stair cases coming of the side of the balcony. Mr. Ambrose went down the left staircase and I went down the right one. The mass of bodies separated like Moses and the Red Sea as we got to the ballroom floor. Then the orchestra began playing as everyone made their way to the floor to dance after us. We were in the middle, everyone gently swaying with their partner as Mr. Ambrose and I actually danced. Then the sound of claps resonated throughout the room as a man called for attention.

 'Hello everyone! If you don't know me, which I really doubt, I am Sir James Allen, the man who personally invited you to this year's Ball of Love. Most everyone here has already attended, but there is one couple who hasn't. That couple is Mr. Rikkard Ambrose and his wonderful woman, Ms. Lillian Linton. The both of them, as tradition for new couples, must dance on their own to a song. Mr. Ambrose would you do the honors of selecting a good song?' Mr. Ambrose walked over to the orchestra and whispered in the director's ear to play a particular song.

 He came over to me and bowed down, offering me a hand. I curtsied, and the song began playing. We began to dance swaying along to he music until suddenly the music changes, from a soft, relaxing and simple piece to a faster and slightly more complicated piece. We moved around the room dancing away to the song. When the song ended, Mr. Ambrose dipped me into his arms. My breath stilled for a moment as his intense gaze burned into my eyes. He leaned down and pecked my lips before bringing me back up. All of the audience clapped for us and he thanked him as I just blushed.

 Finally, Mr. Allen announced it was time for dinner to be served. We sat down at one of the four massive tables in the room after finding our place cards. It was still a mystery to me as for how they knew we were coming but that didn't matter.

 Dinner was an incredible explosion of flavors, from roasted duck to a delicious plum pudding, they had served an array of foods. But then came the biggest surprise of all.

 Mr. Ambrose had called for everyone's attention after our dessert and everyone, including myself, was trying to figure out what he was going to say.

 'Everyone, as you all know, I'm Rikkard Ambrose. I was a man who was so stubborn that I hadn't visited my family in a very long time. I didn't think about anyone but myself and anything but money. And I still will be quite a saver of money. But not because I want to save money for my business, I wan to save money for my wedding and children. I want my love to become my wife. So, Ms. Lillian Linton, will you agree to my courtship proposal and become my wife?' By this point the entire room was so astonished, but none as astonished as me. Tears pooled in my eyes and words caught in my throat as I tried to say something. But no words came out, so I had to settle for a sharp nod. He saw my nod and hugged me, then lifted me into the air and spun me around. As soon as we were on the ground, I crashed my lips onto his, earning cheers and applause from the rest of the crowd.

 And that was it, I, Lillian Linton, the feminist who secretly worked, the girl who no one thought twice about, was getting married, to Rikkard Ambrose, the man who thought he wouldn't let anyone through his stone cold defense wall, the man who survived on money and power. Things truly do change over time.