~-24-~

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Zack asked as he scanned the map to the building they were suppose to drop into to find another intel lead that they would need to complete the 'Mission of the year' as Justin had put it. Tracking down B.L.A.K. and stopping whatever  stupid shit they've been planning. Mel nodded as she kept her eyes glued to the road, her face grim. Zack didn't like it and he furrowed his brows. She'd been shutting him out all morning and he wasn't sure if that meant something was wrong or if it was because they were on a mission and she felt that she needed to be more professional. "It just seems so out of place. I mean, thirty minutes away from any civilization. Not to mention the place looks sketchy as heck." He added. Mel shrugged and Zack sighed. "Alright, what's going on?"

"It doesn't matter right now. We just need to focus on what needs to be done." She answered dryly. Zack sighed again and leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed.

"Ya know I'd prefer your knife to the throat threats rather than an answer like that, right?"

"Sorry to disappoint." Mel said with another shrug. Zack sat up abruptly and gazed at her.

"You don't actually think that something's going to happen again, do you?" He then asked after reading her expression easier then she might have given him credit for.

"I don't know." Mel sighed. "Something just feels off about this whole thing." She muttered loud enough for Zack to hear and he dropped his head for a moment. "Something's felt off since that last mission..."

"Maybe, maybe not. That's something we're going to have to find out. But I don't think either of us are going to get killed. We've dealt with crazier things." Mel nodded in understanding, her lips pursed. I hope you keep believing that even after today... She wished silently as they reached the mostly destroyed building that was suppose to be their destination and drove the car slowly around to the back, parking in a group of trees before climbing out with their weapons ready as they covered the open space between them and the building. They scouted the surrounding walls for company but found none.

"Okay, I'll admit that this is a little too easy." Zack spoke lowly and Mel nodded in agreement before she kicked down the heavy wooden door to one of the entrances and they stepped inside. Their eyes adjusted quickly and Zack took in their surroundings while Mel scouted for any movement. The ground was cracked, stained cement, similar to that of the assessment room back at headquarters and the walls were just as wooden and cobblestone on the inside as they were on the outside. Decaying wooden boards worked as a floor for the second level as well as a ceiling for the first. On some of the stronger support beams, old chains and ropes hung eerily like a human slaughter house. Mel was staring at a set of chains at one end of the large room. She quickly clutched her head to her temples, squeezing her eyes shut until the static faded.

"Mel," Zack began, also looking at a separate pair of chains not that far from her. "I know where we are." He said as she slowly turned to look at him shakily. These were the memories she'd been pushing away. "Oh no, no, no, Mel." Zack dashed over to her and grabbed her face in his hands. He knew she was strong and he knew that she hated looking weak around, well, everyone. But with the flashbacks she was experiencing so strongly it was almost like they were happening for the first time, Mel's legs grew weak and her jaw tightened so fiercely her temples began to hurt. "Melody look at me." Zack said, kneeling next to her and forcing her to look at him as much as it pained him to see the agony she was reliving written all over her face. "Mel, they're just memories alright? You need to bring yourself back to the present." She nodded, then scrunched up her face as if she were trying to stop herself from screaming.

Zack couldn't take it anymore. Lifting her heavy head back up, he pushed his lips against hers and held it until her composure softened before her muscles tensed again and she pulled away, glaring up at the wooden boards above them as if it was their faults. Zack knew that look all too well. It was a look that said "you better be afraid, because I'm gonna kill you."