Chapter 8

Sam's attitude had shifted alarmingly. He was clear-eyed and there was a heart behind his voice as he ordered a group of people to construct a stretcher for Bear using medical supplies and branches from trees. He called out to find if there was anyone close to a doctor, and someone that Everett recognized as a biohacker from Pendleton stepped forward to have a look. Bear was unconscious, and the wound in his chest was severe. The doctor had managed to remove the fishhook itself, however he determined that it had punctured one of Bear's lungs. After patching up the wound as best he could with field equipment, he provided Bear with some painkillers. The doctor had even managed to get him awake for a few seconds, and it was quickly realized that he was too weak to do anything at all for the time being.

Everett sat down on a rock near the edge of the clearing, checking himself over. His hand came away bloody when he touched his back, but he couldn't get a good look at it. The biohacker physician was still looking after Bear, and he didn't want to distract the man from that task. But God, how his back was stinging.

Nikki often acted as though she were able to read Everett's thoughts, and today was no exception. She came striding over to him, glowing eyes regarding him with calm concern. "You hurt?" She asked, hooking her thumbs on her belt loops and standing before him.

Everett turned to show her his back, letting out a sigh, "Is my back bleeding as badly as I think?" He asked cautiously.

Nikki reached out, touching his back gently. Her eyes went wide as she leaned down. "Oh, Christ. All right, off with your shirt. Did your pack survive?"

Everett nodded, unslinging the slightly torn but intact bag from his shoulder and handing it to her. She fished the first aid kit out with nimble fingers, getting on her knees while Everett faced to one side, pulling his shirt off. She worked quickly but with care, a strand of her long blond dreadlocks falling loose of the knot at the back of her head to dangle in her face. She applied an antiseptic and then wrapped gauze around his midsection. She didn't say a word while she worked, her glowing eyes darting around calmly. It was as though she had retreated within herself, and once Everett was patched up and he had put his uniform and pack back on, she moved on, looking for Patches to speak further about their new destination.

Sam ordered a head count, and realized they had one hundred and seventy-two soldiers remaining. Over thirty people were already dead, killed either by the vicious reptiles or the Chitters in the cave.

Upon the start of this count being performed, Spalding's people had stood to one side, with their leader crossing his arms and making muttered, glaring conversation with a few of his people. After the final number was given, Spalding stepped forward, unslinging his rifle from his back. Everett, who was sitting on a rock at a far end of the clearing, leaned forward to watch the man as he jutted his lip accusingly at Sam.

"Listen, hermano, the gang and me over there were just wondering..." he chuckled slightly and scratched the back of his head before finishing, "who put you in charge, huh? The old man?"

"I put me in charge." Sam said simply. "Anyone can challenge it if they want. This is the island's mission, and I'm from the island. Does that bother you, sergeant?"

Spalding scoffed. "You think this is the island's army?" He asked, stepping toward Sam threateningly. "There's barely any of you folks left." He looked around at the crowd around them suddenly. "How many of you don't call Orson's Island home?"

Everett looked to see a lot of hands raising up; it was true. Proportionately, there were more people from off the island now amongst them than his own people.

"There you have it." Spalding said, holding his hands out. "I'm the more qualified leader here. Why don't you take a seat, kid?"

"Excuse me." Everett said, standing up without thinking about it and striding toward both of them. "I call Orson's Island home." He said in a low, diplomatic voice. "But that's not important. Because right now, I can't go back there. None of us can go home." He looked around at the crowd, seeing faces nodding in agreement. "And the only way we'll get through this is if we stay together. Humans don't fight humans anymore."