Chapter 1

Reality came to Amela in pieces. The blinding light reflected off the polished floors bombarded her vision. Next, muffled hums that bounced off each wall fell into her throbbing brain, interrupted by a few rhythmic beeps. Finally, the smell of bleach flooded her nose, which made her gag.

"Good morning, dear."

Amelia didn't answer. Her mind screamed at her to pull away the invisible hands that gripped her neck. She opened her eyes, bleary and tired, but was momentarily blinded by fluorescent lights. The tension in her body dissipated, soon replaced by the heavy warmth. She settled against the uncomfortable sheets; her mind gradually filled with a pleasant fog. A room, complete with flashing machines and a cheery nurse, opened around her.

"How do you feel, Amelia?"

"Like I died," She mumbled, using her arm to block a small portion of the light. Her skin wrapped tighter around her heavy bones, looking more translucent and blue than she last remembered.

"Not quite," the nurse laughed.

"Where am I?" Amelia's her lip trembled behind her words.

"Pencey Pines Hospital. Do you know what day it is?"

"Friday?"

"Close. It's Monday."

Amelia squinted, taking in the room for the second time. A nurse with wispy brown hair and rippled skin scribbled a few notes on a clipboard. She wore scrubs full of stains, but it didn't bother her. She looked young, face full of blush and smeared mascara. A sort of beauty radiated off her that only looked right under hospital lighting.

"So, I missed the holiday?"

The nurse nodded, while a breathy laugh escaped her thin lips, before turning to leave. She disappeared behind a pair of smoke blue doors, mumbling something vaguely related to vitals.

Alone, Amelia found herself stuck with her thoughts. Her breath fell heavy, settling across the mattress like fog. The edges of her lungs burned with steady breath, but the tingling sensation that ran across her skin worried her more. She stayed trapped in a shiver, her body produced enough warmth to keep her alive, but not to keep her comfortable. A rumble rattled her stomach, finding its echo between each visible rib.

A soft melody played through old speakers, drowned out by the screeches of every machine. Sunlight filtered in a large window, partially blocked by a cream curtain. Across every frosted tile, words of encouragement lay in odd patterns. All but one appeared to be written in crayon and accompanied with doodles. A pleasant atmosphere surrounded her, aside from her utter confusion.

"Ms. Green? Can I come in?" a soft voice peered in from the cracked door.

"Sure," Warmth kept radiated through her veins, heated by the clear fluid being pumped into her skin.

A head of mousy brown hair ducked into the room, messy and full of oil. "How are you feeling?"

"Is that like the hello for hospitals?" She searched his face for a smile, but it never came, "I'm hungry. And I feel weird."

"Like a hot-cold-numb type of weird?"

"Yeah."

"It'll wear off." He broke into a crooked smile. His nametag read Joshua in bright red lettering, but practically every other feature stood out with stronger intensity. His big nose curved downwards, a little too large and crooked for the rest of his face. The triangular shadow it left blended in with his purple eye bags. Above all that, he towered with lanky limbs, looking like a monster brought to life. "I'm here to help you get to the basement."

"Is there food down there?"

Brown hair flew around as he nodded, all of a sudden amused by her. His spindly fingers wrapped around the wooden clipboard, eyes grazing the messy notes. A look of confusion crossed his heavy features, but he hid them apace.

"I have a feeling you're very confused. Do you know what day it is?" He grabbed at two dusty strings next to the window.

"The nurse said Monday." Her bruised hands caught her attention.

"Which would make today?"

"July fifth?"

"Amelia," He pulled the curtains apart, revealing icicles and layers of old snow, "It's the Twenty-seventh of December."

"No!" Her voice was full of a bit too much force. Surely enough, her eyes settled on the hastily built snowmen outside. A few children ran past in thick coats, laughing about broken sleds and endless dreams.

The corner of Joshua's lips curled between his teeth as he watched her curl into a ball. Lost in a euphoric sense of dread, every finger twitched and tensed into a ball.

"Amelia, do you remember anything from the past five months?"

"Nothing."