ian ; dirty dishes

[requested]

     After Fiona left for Brazil, with Jimmy, or Steve, I really don't know his real name anymore, the Gallagher house was going crazy. Without Fiona there to check Carl for lice, bail Lip out of jail, and make sure Debs didn't steal another baby, it was hard.

     You had spent a lot of time at the Gallagher house, even before Fiona left. You saw how excruciatingly tough it was for Fiona first hand. But, having an unbreakable bond and love for each and every Gallagher, excluding Frank, you pulled yourself into the madness. Seeing things that needed done, and seeing that they needed help wasn't going to slide by without you trying to help. Although Lip tried assuring you that they were okay, you felt the need to ignore him.

     And, since you had a job, and not much of a home yourself, if you count a place with basically two Frank's as parents, you stayed nights there and pitched in whatever you could. You cooked, cleaned, and did pretty much everything else Fiona did, but not as good, yet.

     "Can someone forge Frank's signature?" Ian asked, holding out a piece of paper. A permission slip for his ROTC. With Ian, you were especially close to, because you took a lot of the same classes. You were only a year ahead of him, but weren't exactly smart enough to be in the proper classes.

     "I will!" I Debs said, circling the table and taking the pen from Ian's hands.

     "Can someone help me with dishes?" I asked, which seemed to make the entire group scatter.

     "Can't. I'm studying for a physics test." Lip immediately excused himself, grabbing his books and going upstairs.

     "Stray cat down the street." Carl shrugged, putting his empty plate on the counter.

     "Liam needs changed." Debs winced as she picked up her younger brother and followed Lip upstairs. You sighed, with your mouth open to say something, but nothing ever came out.

     "Ian?" You asked, looking over at him. He sighed, standing up from his chair and walking towards you.

     "I will help you." He finally stated, taking the plate from your hands.

     "Thanks." You stated, letting out a breath as you both got work on cleaning the dishes. Ian kept glancing over at you, making you finally roll your eyes.

     "What is it?" You asked, wanting him to just spit it out already.

     "You don't have to do this, you know."

     "Yeah, so the dishes can just pile up." You said sarcastically, referring to the gang of Gallaghers that wasted no time in excusing themselves.

     "You know what I mean." He said, as we dried the last bit of dishes. You finally looked at him, thinking about what to say.

     "I guess it kind of feels good to be needed." You said, softly. It took a moment for a small grin to appear on Ian's lips, as he dried off his hands with the towel.

     "Jesus, (y/n)." He said, sort of laughing. "If all you want is to be needed, then congratulations." He said, walking towards the stairs directly afterwards.

     Leaning against the kitchen counter, you stared at the ground. After what Ian had just said, the small, simple, yet amazing thought settled in.

     You guessed the Gallagher's really did need you.