volumes

[also cross posted to ao3 (kaythesalty)]

Yoongi groaned, his back hitting the bed with a satisfying thud. His small frame willingly sprawled across the low quality bed sheets that came for free with the horrendous dorm room he could barely afford to stay in. Everything felt sore: his arms, his legs, his back, his brain. Everything went wrong. He just wanted to curl up and die.

(Yoongi is glad that he didn't die at that point. He gets to successfully treat a lot of wonderful patients nowadays.)

Now, if you knew Yoongi during his university years, you'd be both surprised and unsurprised by his fatigue. He was studying to become a doctor, an audiologist specifically. His best friend became deaf after an accident that Yoongi didn't like to think of, which compelled the man to help people like his friend. He wasn't studying anything physically draining, apart from the fact he enjoyed playing basketball in his spare time, but the medical field sure is mentally draining and sometimes he thought that the world was out to burn him alive.

To very little people's surprise, Yoongi wasn't the most vocal of people. Of course, he wouldn't be -- he would rather help people gain their voice instead of using his own -- but his boyfriend was starkly contrast to the pale, pocket sized boy.

(It's Hoseok that always calls him pocket sized, and Yoongi is often found to be claiming hatred for the word that the taller screams at the top of his lungs very willingly. Hoseok knows better.)

That boy was all sun kissed skin and dancer's muscles. That boy was the kindest that Yoongi had ever met, no matter how stubborn he could be. That boy was made of talent through and through. That boy was what Yoongi considered absolutely and completely golden - in skin, in heart, in mind. That boy-

"Yoongi hyung!!" was the only warning Yoongi got from his sunshine before the older got brutally crushed to pieces, never to be seen again.

(Yoongi says this to entertain his younger patients nowadays. It isn't true. He's absolutely fine and definitely liked being 'crushed' by the hottest piece of ass he has, and ever will have, dated. He does however refuse to tell Hoseok that.)

"Hello, Hoseok." This is definitely an off response. Yoongi doesn't speak like that if he's feeling alright.

"Aw, hyung, what's happened?" Hoseok cooed, shifting his weight and cupping Yoongi's cheeks in the process. The latter only replied by aggressively pulling Hoseok's hands away from his face.

("Hoseokie, you know I love your ass, but I don't exactly appreciate it when it's clothed and rubbing against my crotch when I'm horny enough as it is," is the more common response when Yoongi gets home very late and Hoseok missed him when he's gone. "Besides, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around!" They miss each other a lot while not with one another.)

Hoseok whined, much to Yoongi's dismay. Although Hoseok's cuteness was one of Yoongi's weaknesses, he was so loud and Yoongi was so not and everything was too much and nothing was working and his brain was so damn ready to collapse in on itself like a dying star.

"Please, Hoseokie. Please just-" Yoongi sighed, curling up into foetal position. "Please just be quiet. I really need that right now." The tone of Yoongi's voice nearly broke Hoseok's heart.

(Yoongi hasn't come close to breaking Hoseok's heart since then, apart from the time when Yoongi said that having four children would be way too many.)

After a long pause for silence, Hoseok glanced over at Yoongi again and quickly wrapped his arms around the older protectively. "Do you want to talk about it?" he whispered, careful not to disturb Yoongi. The latter sniffled, looked up, then burst into tears.

Incoherent words that were barely strung into sentences fell out of Yoongi's mouth: something about symptoms and diagnosing and treatment and incurable diseases. He was scared that he wouldn't be able to treat his patients in the future like he swore he would. He was scared that he would make empty promises. He was scared, so scared, that he wouldn't make it.

Hoseok pulled him close, held him tight, and mumbled words of comfort into the smaller's ear. "Hyung, it's okay. You're the smartest person I know. You're practically made for the medical field -- I know you'll pull through! Besides, no matter what, you'll always have me to make you smile!" He tilted Yoongi's face slightly to meet his and smiled widely, Yoongi eventually mirroring the younger's grin. "See!" He giggled, kissing Yoongi's lips boldly with a rather loud 'mwah!'. "I'm always here for you, hyung. You'll always be my home, and I'll always be yours. We always return to each other."

(Hoseok still says this to Yoongi sometimes. It makes Yoongi physically cringe, but emotionally melt. Hoseok teases him for it endlessly, but Yoongi always has other things up his sleeve to get Hoseok back.)

Yoongi smiled, took Hoseok's hands in his, and gripped them tightly. "Thank you, Hoseok. I love you."

"I love you even more, hyungie!!" Hoseok giggled again, tackling Yoongi to the bed and rolling around with him until Yoongi pushed him off of both himself and the bed.

('It was for the greater good,' Yoongi says when looking back on moments like these.)

"Dinner, hyung?" Hoseok smiled after bouncing back onto the bed.

"Okay, Hoseokie." Yoongi let himself be pulled away from the bed and towards the crappy kitchen that was also supplied by the university to cook dinner, or rather, to find the takeaway menu and order over the phone while trying their best not to laugh at each other's straight faces.

("And even to this day, my husband is still terrible at cooking," Yoongi croons to his now cured patients who laugh at his stories from younger adulthood. It's around this time that Hoseok has already managed to get off from his nursery school teaching job and pop his head around the door of the room to say,

"And my husband's no better!")