VIII

Hogwarts, Hogwarts

Jack, Caleb and I skip lunch, planning a way to dye the Gryffindor's hair green. There's a quidditch game coming up and the rivalry remains strong.

"We're gonna need a polyjuice potion," I tell them.

"That's too slow, the game's in two days," Jack points out.

"I don't see how else we'll get in," I admit. We all look at each other, hoping for someone to come up with something.

"Wait!" Caleb exclaims. "Remember last year when you made some during Christmas break?"

"Yeah," I reply. I'd made enough for each of us. We pretended to be Gryffindor players Austin, Craig and Oli during a quidditch game. We fumbled everything, giving Slytherins the win. I'd made one for Matty too, but Filch caught him and confiscated it. My eyes go wide.

"Filch," we say in unison.

"You think he still has it?" Jack asks doubtfully.

"Worth a try," Caleb says.

"Tonight," I say. "Our best chance is at night."

"I'm in," Caleb says.

"I'm out, Alex and I have a...sleepover...tonight," Jack says. Caleb and I laugh and shake our heads.

"I get it dude, have fun," Caleb tells him, getting up. "I'm gonna go to the yard," he adds and we get up, going with him.

Caleb and I sat in the common room, trying to pass the time with Wizard's Chess. We'd each won twice then got bored. Now, we're sprawled out on the lounge couch. We talked for a while, joking around and doing fun magic tricks. After an hour or so, we fall silent. I'd balled up our chess scoresheet and Caleb made it float. I got bored and lit it on fire, it's a bit mesmerizing. I look over at Caleb and see he's fast asleep.

Shit, I think. Not wanting to wake him, I decide to go alone. I like wandering the halls better that way anyway.

As I climb the moving staircase up to Filch's office, I hear some whispering. I pause, looking around for the source. I slowly back down the stairs, stopping when I see three figures standing in the hall. Déjà vu washes over me, a vision of Vic popping into my mind. It was the same hallway I'd caught him in. I watch their shadows pace back and fourth before disappearing altogether.

"They're using the room too?" I whisper to myself. The Room of Requirement's supposed to be a secret, the only way I found out is because Caleb's dad had used it when he went here and passed the knowledge down. I travel down the stairs and to the door. Unfortunately, I have no need for the room. I can't get in. I turn back, going towards the stairs again. Just as I step onto it, I hear running. I jump back, diving behind a tapestry.

"You rotten kids come back here!" comes Filch's voice. I laugh, loving how many rule-breakers are here. I see something in the corner of my eye and turn just in time to see Vic pass the other side of the entrance. Apparently tonight's the night to sneak out. I rush towards him, curious.

I peak my head around the corner, and see him walking. Quietly, I follow. He turns a corner so I do too. He turns again, heading towards the Room of Requirement. My heart rate quickens and I stop, hiding. This is my chance to find out what he does in that room. He paces and I hear the door open. I rush around the corner as quickly as I can and lunge towards the door, catching it before he can close it.