Chapter Nineteen

Try listening:

» Could Be Anything by the eames era
» Breathe (2 AM) by Anna Nalick
» That Should Be Me by Justin Bieber

This is a long-ass chapter so make sure you have your coffee right by your side!

Chapter Nineteen

Manas called me in the evening that day. "I just heard," he whispered. He didn't have to say anything else. I didn't want him to. What was the point of any of it anyway now, when he hadn't been here throughout the day? Throughout the day that was possibly the second hardest of my life. 

"Riddhi, listen to me, I just heard about it. Now when can you meet me?" 

"I... I can't," I whispered.

"What? Of course, you can. Riddhi, come, tell me when can you meet me, please? I want to be here." I could hear the strain in his voice but I didn't care. He wasn't there. He was supposed to be there, and he wasn't there!

"No, I can't. I have work to catch up on," I added.

He tutted. "Riddhi, please. I am so sorry I wasn't there today, but please."

I didn't reply. What was I supposed to? That I'm sure you had more things to do until wait till 5 in the evening to call me? Especially after you stayed the night at my place and knew perfectly well what happened yesterday? Sure, I forgive you. You of course had important things to do. I understand.

"Riddhi, please don't do this. Come on, meet me at the diner, please? I have a shift today that I can't get out of."

I heaved a sigh. I didn't really have the strength today to deal with any more drama. Reluctantly, I held my left wrist and fingered the scars from that one night. I didn't want a repeat of that either. I didn't want to be that girl who couldn't handle the stress and ended up taking the easy way out. I didn't want to be that girl.

"I know you're still there," he whispered. "Please come, Riddhi."

"Fine, I'll ask Di to drop me," I sighed and nodded. 

"Don't mind. I'll come and pick you up."

I nodded once again, even though he couldn't see me. "Okay."

❤️❤️❤️ 

Manas reached my house half an hour later. I informed Mom it was just a study date and I wanted to help him out with the upcoming boards. She didn't mind, which was strange. My mother never really trusted boys as easily as she trusted him. In fact, everyone in my family did, and that was just strange. 

When we arrived at his diner, he had to handle some things at the counter before he could join me properly. When he did arrive, he brought two burgers and some fries with him. 

"Chef's compliments," he winked. I tried to muster up a smile but all I could do was finger the scars on my wrist. 

"What happened, Riddhi?" he whispered. 

"I got tortured at the school today and you weren't there," I answered. He winced but I just turned towards the burger. The chefs here made delicious food. I had only had the burgers once and they had been delicious.

"I'm just... I'm sorry," he said as he put the plate of fries in front of me. Reluctantly, I picked one up, dipped it in ketchup and had it.

"Where were you?" I finally asked.

"I... I had fallen asleep. I was too worried to do it last night," he answered, averting my eyes. 

"You're lying." I squinted my eyes at him. He raised his left brow at me suggestively as his lower lip quivered. Yes, he was definitely lying now. This is what he always did when he lied. First he would avert his eyes like everyone else, and then his lower lip would quiver when someone would question him. Classic Manas. I wondered if he even knew that's how he reacted.