Chapter 3

Lilly's P.O.V

I had no idea where all these men ended up. He was the third, I think.

There was no more word from James Whitworth, the ideal man, according to my aunt. But I hated the male species in general so I didn't share that thought.

I had spent the past three days listening to my aunt rant about why Mr. Whitworth had not visited us and going for work. My birthday was coming up. And I was hoping that he would not show up then. Aunt Brank was planning on inviting many people to the ball so that there was a chance for me to find a match, and now that there was a big possibility of Whitworth not showing up, the guest list was more likely to get longer.

Mr. Ambrose was not ordering me around, which was unusual. It looked like he was thinking about something important. Probably about how to make a profit of a million without spending a penny.

But I took this as my opportunity to study him. I have always wondered how a man can be so cold and still, and yet so warm. He looked like a granite statue. An unbelievably handsome one. It was impossible for him to exist. He shall be the only man I would marry.

Like that could actually happen.

"Mr. Linton, if you are done staring, please continue your job. I don't pay you for doing nothing."

Good god! How did he manage to do this all the time.

And there went the unusualness.

It was like he had an extra eye or something.

"Sorry, sir. Yes, sir."

I went back to doing paperwork and writing down the schedules. Suddenly, a thought passed through my mind.

"Mr. Ambrose, sir?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know James Whitworth?"

"I do if this this individual is associated with the Whitworth Exporters. Why do you ask, Mr. Linton?"

"Are you sure that's it, sir?"

"I am, Mr. Linton. Now if you don't have anymore questions, do your work."

Why did I always think that he was somehow involved in their disappearances?

"Yes, sir."

Ambrose's P.O.V

She was unbelievably smart for a female. I was expecting the question from her, so I had already planned my answer before.

I stole glances at her while she was writing down lord-knew-what sitting across from me.

She was happy nonetheless. That was a good thing. I watched her as she bit her cheek while concentrating on her work. The longer I stared at her, the more difficult it became to stop doing it.

I had known when she started looking over to me, but I couldn't hold up my nonchalance any longer than I did. It felt good being under her gaze but it did not feel so good not knowing what was in her mind. I kept my own from thinking of any possibilities.

Her lashes had a few snowflakes stuck on it and I almost leaned forward to blow them away. Thank goodness, she looked up right then.

"Is something wrong, sir?"

No it is just that you are so incredibly beautiful.

"I was inspecting your efficiency, Mr. Linton."
I lied smoothly.

"And what is your conclusion, sir?" She asked, grinning.

"Your efficiency not intolerable."

"Thank you, sir!"

She went back to doing whatever she was doing, grinning even wider.

Anyone else would not have taken that for a compliment, but this was ifrit we were talking about.

I had one more day. To do what you ask me? To buy her a...P...p...you know, for her birthday. The first time I gave her that was for Christmas. And that night could never be explained by words.

I would do anything to see that look on her face again. But spending money on something with no intention of gaining profit sounded better than actually handing it to her.

"When is your engagement happening, Mr. Linton?"

"Sir, it was supposed to happen the day after tomorrow. But I don't think it is going to."

"Why so?"

"We haven't heard from him for 4 days now. But there is still a chance that my aunt would fix someone for me soon."

Bloody hell.

"Indeed?"

"Yes, sir. We have a ball on the 4th and I am turning 20 so..."

She laughed. What?

"What is funny, Mr. Linton?"

"Nothing, sir."

"Tell me." I commanded.

"Sir, it is just the thought of inviting you to the ball, but you don't visit places unless it is about money."

I ignored her statement.

"You can take a day off on 4th."

The hell just happened. For the first time in forever, I just offered my employee a day off.

A. Day. Off.

She looked at me as if I grew an extra limb, and then her expression morphed into suspicion.

"Sir, tell me you are not planning another adventure without me. You know very well that I will somehow tag along."

"Trust me, Mr. Linton. This adventure is all about you."

"You just gave me a day off! You never do that."

"Yes, I just did. And I want you to respect my decision. I repeat, I am not going anywhere."

"What about 'knowledge is power is time is money'?"

"Mr. Linton, do not make me take back my offer."

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir."

~

That night, I called Karim in and both of us left to the same shop from where I bought that for her.

We walked through the dark streets into the alley, making sure that no soul was watching.

I opened the door to the shabby building and we marched in.

▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪

Vote and Comment <3