Chapter 5

Ambrose's P.O.V.

Today, I didn't have Lilly's chatters to keep me engaged. I knew I behaved towards her the same way I did to others, but she did things to me that no one has ever done to me before, deep inside. And she didn't know it.

I was going to do something reckless, and I didn't want to think about the aftermath.

The clock struck and I called Karim.

He got the cart ready, and we left...for the ball. Technically, she uninvited me, but I did have the invitation from her aunt. I get invitations from everyone, for that matter. I had asked Karim to dig up the trashcan in Lilly's office to get the envelope.

I was attending a ball.

I could feel the light weight of the small packet in my pocket.

Cadbury. I spent money on 'solid chocolate'.

I was losing my mind. A ball gown. A chocolate bar. For no profit and no businesses benefit.

The cart stopped in front of the large doors of the ballroom. I sighed silently, and climbed down.

I pushed the doors open. There was silence for a moment, everyone nearby staring at me, and then the chatter resumed, a little more excited this time.

The Rikkard Ambrose showed his presence at a ball.

I felt many pairs of eyes on me, and I, obviously ignored all of them and walked forward when a plump woman, whom I assumed to be Lilly's aunt, squealed her greetings to me, with a big smile that was clearly planned and calculating. I nodded, not returning the smile.

I scanned the crowd. The first dance was already on. My eyes fell on the couple in the centre, and my stiff body stiffened even more, seeing Lilly dancing with Captain Carter. They were standing so close that I almost reached for my rifle. I stood there, glaring at him hoping that he would notice me, and leave as soon as possible.

They danced in circles, chatting and laughing. Finally, Carter's eyes met mine, widening a little with recognition. He looked at Lilly, and then back at me. He took his hands off of her.

That was a first. Now leave the hell out of here.

Lilly stood confused, her eyes following Carter, whose back was turned against her. And then she turned to look back, to face me.

Goodness Gracious! She was so beautiful.

I was breathless.

The most beautiful woman I have ever known.

I knew she wouldn't like anything extravagant, so I had chosen something that was beautiful yet subtle. And she looked beyond beautiful. I walked towards her, trying to not trip on myself. It would be a shame if I did.

With her looking like that, I would kill anyone who had ever called her Mr. Linton, including myself.

She looked to her right and left frantically, and almost ran towards me. She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards a corner. Well, she tried to pull me. When I didn't budge, she looked at me with wide, pleading eyes to which I gave in.

"Mr. Ambrose, sir? What are you doing here? Did you get lost? No you never get lost. Were you attacked? Pfft. No way. Let me guess, you have a business meeting. But I don't remember a meeting scheduled for today..."
She went on and on.

She stood there thinking, with a frown on her forehead, while I took in her soft brown hair falling in thin curls around her face, flushed cheeks, and eyes lost in thought.