M

Paper Plane #20,738 | senior year - high school

Valentines day. Virtually the dumbest day of the entire year. You express all this 'love' that you had building in your soul on this day. Why not do random acts of kindness towards the one you love all year? Why does it have to be on this special day? Clearly this is just a marketing gizmo. Society wants money, and this was the way to do it. 

While I think it is utterly pointless, this is Logan's favorite day out of the entire year. He called me almost three times this morning. I put on a smile, despite my hatred of this day, for Logan. If it wasn't for him, I would be smacking people across the face with cupid arrows. 

The halls are filled with romantic hopefuls, the rejected, and couples. As much as I hate this day, I am happy to have a valentine. Freshman year wasn't quite the same without one. I push my way through the overly dramatic student body. My locker stands alone in the corner. People don't come down here because of its notorious tendency to flood. 

I mumble my combination under my breath, as I turn the lock. The door flings open to present me with nothing but roses. They are literally spilling out of my locker. I reach into my locker, hoping to feel my books, but they are nowhere to be found. There's nothing but roses. Logan. Of course. He is the sweetest guy I know, but I need my books. 

People start to take notice of the roses that are spilling out all over the place. I grin widely. How on earth did Logan fit - not to mention afford - this many roses? 

"Oh my god, did your boyfriend do that?" some sophmore asks, walking up behind me. 

"Yeah," I say, like I am in la la land. I went from wanting to shoot the next person I saw to floating on cloud 9 in ten seconds. 

She puts her hand over her heart. "That's so sweet! I wish I had a guy like that."

"He'll come along. Don't worry," I assure her. 

She scurries off to go tell one of her friends about my roses. A small paper plane flutters out of the pile of scarlet red roses. I open it up, curious to see what Logan has written inside. 

I was bored yesterday. Thought I would spice things up. Happy Valentines Day babe!

I giggle. This is not like me to be overly excited and extatic over Valentines Day. All the same, I love what Logan did. I can only hope the chocolates I put everywhere for him don't melt. 

The problem here is that all of my books are gone. I have nothing. I guess I'll just have to walk to my first period without my binder and textbook. Let's cross our fingers and hope Mr. Schuller is in a good mood. 

When I reach his classroom, he greets me with a warm smile. Today is just full of surprises!

"Good morning, Tess," Mr. Schuller says, in a very unlike Mr. Schuller fashion. "Logan brought your books in earlier."

Aw, Logan put them in the class for me. On top of all of my stuff is another paper plane and another rose. 

You thought I lost your stuff, didn't you? Don't worry, I put everything in each of your classes. (I like the chocolates by the way. It's sweet and simple). 

I'm gonna cry. Here I am talking about an overdramatic school, and I'm getting all emotional. 

By the end of the school day, I have a total of six roses and six paper planes. When I meet Logan at his locker after school, he looks very pleased with himself. 

"Happy Valentines Day ma'am," he says, bowing. 

"Happy Valentines Day," I reply, laughing.