Chapter 3: Invasion

If someone were to take a photograph of our front room at the moment, that picture would be pretty hilarious.

I'm lying upside down on the couch, screaming about my splitting headache.  Mallory is yelling at me about how if I sat up like a normal, civilized person, I wouldn't have a headache.  Mom is lying on the ground--propped up with her hands--eyes glued to the TV as she watches her favorite soap opera, White Horses.  Benj is sitting next to her, same position, watching intently as well.

Whenever it turns to a commercial, Benj turns onto his back and looks at his phone, screaming every time it drops onto his face.  Rose sits on the coffee table, painting her nails and pointing out every little thing she thinks is dumb about the show and the commercials.

I hear a knock on the window, but I don't look up.  Rose glances over and then turns back to painting her nails.

"Lexi, it's one of your turtle friends," she says monotonously.

Mallory sighs and gets up to open the window.  Mikey had been an idiot the night before and stopped by when I had Mallory over at my house.

She unlocks the window and lets Leo in.  He thanks her and slowly walks over to our family.  He crosses his arms over his chest and raises his eye ridges.

"There's something wrong with this picture," he says.

"It's because you're in it." I groan and rub my head. "AGH! My head is throbbing."

"Then sit up idiot! For the hundredth time!" Mallory says, yanking me up from my position. A look of satisfaction sets on her face when my face relaxes, indicating that my headache is fading.

"MAGIC!" I exclaim. Leo chuckles and takes a seat next to me. I turn to him and raise my eyebrows. "So why'd you drop in? You miss me already?"

"I have to admit, the lair isn't half exciting as this room."

I snicker and lean forward, yawning. "Sunday is our recluse day." The last few minutes of White Horses finishes up. "We all get up at exactly seven in the morning and all sit in the same room doing absolutely nothing for the entire day."

"And you enjoy it?"

"Love it."

Rose finishes her toenails and sits on the coffee table, hugging her knees. Benj turns back upside down and begins texting me, and his phone drops onto his face a few more times. Mom watches the commercials and Mallory yawns.

Rose sighs. "My toe hurts."

"My brain hurts." I yawn, and when I do so, it creates a chain effect and the living room turns into a circle of yawns. First me, then Mallory, Leo, Benj, Mom and then Rose.

"I want a saber-tooth cat," Rose says.

"Go find one," I reply.

"Okay, I'll be right back." She stands up and walks out of the room. It's silent for a few minutes, besides the yawns and commercials. One of the commercials is of a woman -- an ad for a face wash.

"No one can splash water like that and do it without getting their clothes wet," I say.

Benj shakes his head. "She can."

A battery commercial comes on about a girl who loses her dog and can't find it anywhere, but then she finds a flashlight and uses the batteries and finds the dog late at night.