Chapter 17: Memories and Chips

TWAMP.

Black hiking boots hit the solid metal floor of the Ministry of Science as their owner jumped off the rail and landed in one swift motion. The somewhat-discreet noise was then followed by the soft sound of running feet as the person in question rounded the nearest corner and pressed herself against the smooth metal wall. The shadows danced around her and concealed her black-clad form.

Breathing a tad heavily, the intruder took a small, silver communicator out of her belt and brought it to her lips.

"All clear," she whispered. "Come on in."

The 'all clear' was soon followed by a somewhat less-heedful entrance of the girl's two partners, jumping off the rail and landing rather clumsily on top of each other.

"Ow! Toby! Get off of me!"

"Get off of you? You get off of me! This is your fault!"

"My fault!? If you had been paying attention – "

"If you hadn't pushed me – "

"Shut up, both of you!"

The sharp, feminine voice shut both boys up in an instant.

Moving ominously out of the shadows, Cora emerged, eyes narrowed in annoyance.

"Could you make any more racket?" she complained, blue eyes blazing. "If you hadn't notice, we're kind of in the middle of a break in."

"Relax, Cora," Toby huffed, worming his way out from underneath Zane and dusting himself off nonchalantly. "It's not like we haven't done it before."

"That was three in the morning," Cora chided irritably. "If you haven't noticed, it's nearly five and Heaven knows when someone will show up for work! We have to do this quickly and efficiently and you two are falling over each other every two seconds! Get it together!"

"Yes, ma'am," Toby said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

Cora gave him a look of death but Zane managed to stop her from pouncing on him.

"Let's just find Tenma's office, shall we?" he suggested tiredly. And he thought the twins could be annoying.

Cora narrowed her eyes at Astro's double but lamented. "Fine. We'll move in the shadows and beas quiet as possible, got it?"

"Yes, ma'am," Toby said again, tone dripping with sarcasm. "Although I don't get why you're being all secret agent about this."

A sigh escaped Cora's lips.

"Because," she said solemnly, her annoyance replaced with urgency. "If we fail, Astro's gone for good and I cannot allow that to happen."

For once Toby did not have a snarky response.

Her point made, Cora turned on her heel. "C'mon," she mumbled, her voice choked.

Zane and Toby shared a small look before gathering themselves and following.

The walked in silence for a bit, Toby eventually taking the lead when it was clear that Cora had absolutely no idea where she was going. Cora didn't object.

After a minute, Toby stopped abruptly in front of one of the many smooth metal doorways that seemed to dominate this God-forsaken building. This one was much bigger than the others, but otherwise had no distinguishable features.

"This it?" Zane asked.

Toby nodded, looking a little nervous. He didn't move to open it.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Cora asked, an edge to her voice. "Open it."