CHAPTER 6

"I'll help you."

"Thank-"

"But not because I believe he's dead."

Dan nodded. He hadn't exactly expected Chris to just immediately believe him. Who would? He still considered himself lucky that he hadn't been kicked out or taken away by the police. If that'd happened, he'd be one step closer to being the main suspect in Will's murder, and one step further from finding the real killers.

Kyle and Will had quieted behind him now. Dan could feel the slight chill radiating from them, a stark contrast to the greenhouse like warmth of the house. He tried not to toy with his sleeves. He shuffled his feet inconspicuously instead.

"Will, he wants, he wants to know who killed him?"

Dan cursed his nervousness. Cursed his awkwardness and inability to hold a conversation.

He wasn't sure how Chris would react, but for now, it seemed like Will's friend was going along with it. Dan knew he'd remain a sceptic, probably until he saw Will's body himself, which was doubtful, seeing as his corpse was probably at the bottom of the ocean.

"How would I know?" Chris crossed his arms and leaned back casually against the kitchen work surface. His words were defensive, but his stance casual. Dan couldn't read him.

"You knew him." Dan said quietly.

Chris glanced at the phone on the table. Will's phone.

"I never trusted Anna. His girlfriend." Chris added, after Dan looked at him, head tilted in confusion.

Will scoffed.

"What?"

"Anna didn't do this."

"How do you know?"

"She wouldn't."

Out of the corner of his eye, Dan could see Chris watching him. If Will's friend was going to go along with Dan's far stretched story about the murder of his friend, then he might as well treat him to the full ghost talking show. He wasn't normally so shy when talking to ghosts in front of strangers, but also, those strangers specifically came to him for that very purpose.

"He said she wouldn't."

"Well of course he would. He's obsessed"

Dan didn't miss the mention of Will in present tense.

"She's a gold digger."

"Hey!"

There was shuffling behind him, and a whisper to tell Will there was no point, he'd just glide straight through everything, even people.

"She's not!"

Dan flinched at Will's outburst near his ear.

"Not so close."

"Sorry. But listen, she wasn't with me for the money. Anna makes enough herself."

Dan relayed this to Chris who just studied him. The room was stuffy, and Dan was feeling uncomfortable in his hoodie and sweatpants. His palms were sweaty, and he felt a little sick. It was probably his lack of sleep, and he was sure his eyes were so sunk into his head that he could feel them pressing onto his brain. As soon as he got home, he was going to sleep for twenty four hours, despite his promise to Will. The ghost may feel fine without sleep, but right now, his own body was barely functioning.

"But what would stop her from wanting more?"

"What?" Dan rubbed at his face.

"Just because she had money, why wouldn't she want more? Will is gullible."