Chapter 5

Chicago doesn't exactly meet my expectations.

It seems so. . .destroyed. I mean, I'm one to talk, because of, well, District 12. And the Capitol.

Several buildings are close to demolished. Debris is everywhere, the sign of a recent war. "Guess you guys didn't clean up," I chuckle uneasily. "I mean, after that Erudite-Dauntless-every-other-faction-war."

Tobias shrugs. "It's a reminder to those who lost-what they lost. And who they lost."

Like District 12.

Tobias leads us to a rooftop. He explains this is the entrance to the Dauntless headquarters. "You just have to jump into that hole in the building."

Jump? As far as I can see, blackness and nothingness is in that building. My eyes shift towards Tobias distrustfully.

"Don't worry, there's a net," he reassures us.

I go first. My legs spring up and I shoot down, like a falling comet. I expect for my blood to be splattered, but no. A springy net, as Tobias said, is there to catch my fall. I look up at the brilliant sun. "All good!" I yell, roll off the bouncy net, and Peeta comes hurling in. Then Tobias does.

Once we all gathered our senses, he showed us to a place called the Pit. "It is exactly what it sounds like," he says.

No sign of life. That's good. Last thing I need is a bunch of people wondering who I am. Like the Candor.

I ask him about the factions, and if they still live here. Tobias replies, "Most people do, but we don't stick to the faction thing anymore."

"Oh."

"So, do you want to see Christina? She's my best friend." Tobias smiles wistfully, like there's a lot more to the story. There probably was more.

"Okay," Peeta agrees. "She sounds nice. During the war, did she lose anyone, too?"

Tobias nods solemnly. "It would be best not to push the subject." After a long pause, he says, "I think she's in this building. She might be on the zipline. We should look."

"What's a zipline?" Peeta wonders out loud. "Is it a weaponry?"

"No, it's this cool invention that acts like a transportation, but it's mainly for the thrill and excitement," Tobias explains.

The two other boys and I head to this zipline invention. I notice thick wires and a contraption of straps. "Zipline, huh? Looks so futuristic."

"I mean, you are looking at Chicago. We're the best at future tech-y stuff. It was no big deal to improve the zipline."

Peeta volunteers first. Tobias shows him how to fit into the "harness", or so he calls it. "Ready, set, go!" Tobias exclaims, and pushes Peeta down the wire.

Peeta screams. I'm not sure if it is because of the exhilaration or the terror.

Tobias turns to me. "Your turn."

I back away quickly. "Oh, no, I'm good. I think I'll pass on this one."

Tobias sighs. "What happened to the girl on fire? The young woman who volunteered for her sister because of love? The girl who killed Snow, finally, after years and years after his brutal rule? I know she's still in you. I know you still have a spark for adventure. It's in your blood."

I just look at him, stunned. "It seems to me like you know more about me than I do myself."

Tobias extends a hand. "Do I?"

I take it. Tobias is right. I still yearn for adventure. "Okay, this is going to be a little hard."

Tobias is really helpful, and adjusts the straps to my body size. He hooks my harness onto the wire. "Now, you can go hands off and be daring, or you can hold on to the wire, like Peeta did. I'll be right behind you."

"Well. Now or never," I whisper to myself.

I yank myself down.

And down, down, down I go.

This is the most amazing thing I have experienced ever since the war. The rush of cool autumn air hits my face, but I welcome it. My stomach unclenches slowly, and I find myself enjoying the ride. I see endless wire stretched out in front of me, so I decide to enjoy the view.

Everywhere I look, buildings have some kind of ruin to them. Either there's been an explosion or blood or windows shattered. But I see a new cluster of buildings, that look new and recently built. That must be where the people like Tobias live.

I begin to slow down soon, and I see Peeta in the distance on a flat wooden board. I come to a complete stop. A few seconds later, Tobias bumps into me and helps me and Peeta take off the harness.

Peeta's face is contorted into a slightly concerned expression. "Tobias. . ." he says hesitantly. "There's a note for you." He hold out a ripped piece of paper.

Tobias grabs it and reads out loud, "'For Tobias. I know it's dangerous out there. But we've gone over the wall. Things just haven't been as exciting as they used to be. I'm going. It's going against you, but I have to. From, Christina.'"