A New Friend

My dinner date with Sydney is soon, and I'm anxious for it. I just can't bring myself to study what's in front of me. So I decide to ditch the work and get ready. I throw on some jeans and a tee shirt along with my slip on vans, then glance at myself in the mirror on the way out. My golden hair is still wet and non-voluminous, and I begin to compare myself to a wet dog. My eyes nearly have bags underneath them, so I opt for a bit of mascara. Somehow it minimally improves the look. I head out the door. But I don't text Sydney just yet.

Aside from the field, I tend to spend most of my time in my own room. An autumn aura falls over me as I remember that today is the first day of October, and my first October away from home. I'm happy that I have decided to meet with Sydney. I need a life besides softball and schoolwork. Maybe this is a chance to make a good friend, one who doesn't want me for my talent but for who I am as a person.

I decide to cut through the grass area near the fields with no destination in mind. The air smells of flowers and burgers. I put my Ray Bans over my eyes to shield my eyes from being seen. I do like to people watch. Everyone's in their own worlds, some alone, many with companions, and there are a lot of people out because it's Saturday. The vibe is more relaxed and fun than during the week.

I walk under trees that cast a faded shadow. The sun hits me every couple of steps. I look toward the top of the trees and it's pleasing to see. I take a picture of the sun hiding behind the leaves, and as I do so, I notice the sound of a guitar gently strumming. My head turns in every direction, finally finding the source.

She has caramel brown wavy hair that hides behind her guitar. Her fingers pluck at the cords as she sits under one of the shadow trees. I walk on, slowly, and soon enough she's right next to me. She does a double take toward me and stops her fingers' movements.

"Oh, hi," She stutters. "Is this bothering you?"

My eyes widen. "Oh, uh, no! No. Of course not. Just admiring it, I guess," I answer. "Always wanted to learn to play."

Her face relaxes into a small smile. "Oh. Okay. Good."

It's silent between us for a few moments. Comfortable. But then I snap out of it. "Oh, you can keep—"

"Oh," She gives a small chuckle. "Okay. Thanks."

I try to continue on without staring, but there's something alluring about her. I keep going.

My steps have led me to the caf nearest the library. Fitting. I can hardly go 5 minutes without thinking about my schoolwork. I pull my iPhone out from my right back pocket of my blue faded jeans and text Sydney.

Anything sound appealing to you? Chinese food sounds like something I need to eat right about now.

I walk into the ginormous caf. In here there are about 10 different food stops and about 100 times more tables and booths. It's just passing peak dinner time. Usually dinner peak is around 6 and on the weekends it clears out quickly because of the parties and whatever else these cliques do before them.

My phone buzzes in my hand.

That definitely sounds like something I need in my tummy right about now! Walking my friend to the library then I'll be over.

I slowly pace to the Chinese food place and scan every detail of the menu in an attempt to pass the time. Dozens of people have gotten in and out of line in the time I've been reading over the menu. Suddenly there's a voice in my left ear.

"Hey there. Sorry I took so long."

Sydney's hair is, like mine, damp but near dry. Her stick straight caramel hair falls down her back all the way down to her upper waist. She sports skinny jeans, a crop top, and Rainbow sandals. Unlike my own face, hers is delicately powdered with foundation, a shimmering eyeshadow, and mascara that makes her eyelashes look like butterfly legs.

"Don't worry about it," I reply. "I'm just enjoying any time out that I'm not doing schoolwork," She giggles. "Shall we?"

After ordering plate full of chow mein, orange chicken, and eggrolls; and white rice and steamed vegetables, respectively, we opt for sitting outside to catch the last bits of sunlight. My cheeks feel a bit warm from daytime sun, but when there's sunshine and a blue sky, I can't stay away.

"Thanks for doing this with me," She says after swallowing a mouth full of rice. "Seems everyone's at some party tonight. But I got way trashed last weekend and I have things I need to get done tomorrow, and getting things done with a hangover does not sound appetizing."

"My pleasure. Thanks for asking. I guess I really have been so consumed by my studies that I'm neglecting anything fun aside from softball," I admit out loud. "Damn, I'm even surprised you asked me tonight; I mean we see each other near 24 hours a week!"

She laughs. "That's true, but I haven't gotten tired of you yet."

I widen my eyes. "'Yet'!" We laugh together, Sydney's hand covering her mouth full of rice.

——

"Wow, I am stuffed." She says.

"Embarrassingly enough, I am just the right amount of full." I reply. She laughs at that.

"Lucky for you, you don't even look it. You ate all that and look!" She points to my stomach. "No tummy!"

"Yeah, well, if it wasn't for softball, I bet the outcome would be very different."

"Hmm, maybe," Sydney fakes a thinking face. "You wanna get out of here? Maybe there's something going on on campus that we don't know about."

"Let's go!"

——

We pace along the quiet outside world together with no clear idea of what we're trying to find. It's a peaceful Saturday night; seems everyone's at some get-together or party celebrating the first day of October. Unlike them, we walk around the lit-up buildings and waltz under the clear night. Stars are correlated this way, that way, this way, that way; the moon is full. But we just can't seem to find anything else to do.

"It's like we're the only losers not at a party. Might as well be doing homework or something!"

"Okay, no! Let's not go that far!" I reply. "It feels so nice out even though it's 9 at night. And I never get to do this, so it's nice."

"You're right. But hey, it's your choice not to do this more often. There has to be a way you can somehow keep up your studies, go to practice, and still have time for yourself or hanging out with your friends."

I look down toward my feet. "To be honest, I don't really have many friends here. I thought by now I'd have at least a solid few."

"I know how you feel," She consoles. "I was like that, too. Still kind of am. I have my roommate, but she's kind of like you: focused on her own thing. Kind of a person who wants to be on her own. So I get what you mean," She says. "But, hey: you got me!"

I smile at her. "Thank you. And you've got me. I may not do much, but if you ever need a study buddy, you can come over to my place or we can go to the library or something. Or even dinner again. I really enjoyed myself."

"Me too. I need to focus on my own studies a bit more, so thank you for encouraging me there," She slows her pace. "Hey, what's that?"

I look in the direction she's looking. In the quad nearest our hall, there's a large blown-up screen in front of a couple dozen people sitting in chairs and laying on blankets. Walking closer, I see that there's a sign on the edge of the grass that reads: "Pride Alliance Movie Night: October 1".

"That's cool. Looks like they're having a movie night."

"That's cool! Too bad I'm not gay," Sydney chuckles.

"Well," I challenge. "It does say Pride Alliance. I don't think you necessarily have to be gay to be apart of the club."

"Hm, maybe. But it still might be weird to just walk up and sit."

"Yeah, maybe."