Cupid's Love Services

Introduction

From where I sat, I watched as a man mindlessly take a seat on the park bench opposite from the one I was occupying. Covering my face with the magazine in my hands, I tried my best to remain composed and nonchalant while my eyes trailed over the red string tied around his pinky.

Case number fifteen-thousand and thirty-three – according to his file, he was supposed to meet his soulmate pretty soon.

And just in time, a woman gave him a polite smile before lowering herself down on the other side of the park bench. Grinning to myself, I eyed as his string directly connected to the one tied around her smallest finger.

Now all I have to do is to trigger an event to let them come together.

I stood up and went to the nearby stall that was selling drinks and ordered myself a cup of coffee. They were going to have to work harder with their laundry later on but I swear, they were going to thank me after I was through with them.

Walking back as naturally as I can, I made a show of accidentally tripping on nothing. I pretended to stumble down and I strategically released the cup so that the coffee would spill precisely on both of their laps. Both of them jumped up in shock and I tried to look apologetic when I started scrambling back onto my feet.

"Oh no," I cried, waving my hands to complete this panicked act. The man was obviously annoyed but the woman just stared helplessly at her stained skirt. With the tissues I've prepared earlier on, I offered it all to them, "I'm so incredibly sorry!"

The woman tried to pat herself dry while attempting with all her might to keep her voice calm, "We all have those days."

"Easy for you to say," the man snapped, "I have a meeting in an hour and I can't turn up like this."

Seriously, this guy was making my job harder than it should be.

I reached forward and grabbed the red string that tied them together, mumbling under my breath.

σε βρήκα, αδελφή ψυχή

I honestly didn't favor using my powers but I was already having a long day and this was my last case – I just wanted to get it over with.

In an instant, I watched as his pupils dilated and all anger was gone from his face. His gaze focused on the woman standing in front of him, who also started to show how smitten she was by him. In that moment, I knew that they were enchanted.

Their souls were happy – they finally found their other half.

I released the string, taking a step back and clearing my throat so I could make a swift exit, "I really am sorry."

"My apartment is nearby, I'm sure I got something to fix that," the woman said, not even bothering to acknowledge my existence.

He nodded, audibly gulping with his eyes hyper focused on her, "Okay."

I took a cautious step back, and then another. When it was quite obvious that they didn't care even if I went away, I took that as my cue to leave. So I started to walk until I was a few feet away, stretching my arms over my head as I smiled – another successful case and that meant my job was done for the day. All I have to do is check on them after some time has passed to see if they have progressed properly in their relationship.

"Good job," somebody complimented and I whipped around, seeing a woman in her early thirties, softly clapping her hands in a joking applause.

"All in a day's work," I laughed, going towards her so we could keep on walk side by side, "Are you on your way back to your store?"