Chapter Five

Roman crouches in front of me. At least it looks like Roman, but much younger. "I have to go... I'll be back as soon as I can," he says quietly and pats my head like I'm some kid.

"Why can't I go with you?" my voice whines, but it doesn't sound like me, I don't remember opening my mouth.

"You know Thomas still doesn't know about you. He barely knows about us. We just have to be there to help him give a good impression. It's not everyday he turns 12," the prince explains and smiles.

"Okay..."

"Just remember the rules, Cory."

"Never go too far from my room. And never enter the anxiety center."

Roman smiles one last time. "Good boy." He sinks down and is gone.

I wander around the mind palace for a bit and my eyes land on the door to my room. It opens slowly, beckoning me inside.

I enter the room and door shuts behind me.
----
----
----
My name is Anxiety.

----------------------------------------------

Cory? Who's Cory? That dream is the weirdest yet, and the loving way that Roman had looked at me makes me want to puke. Something was going on, and I had to find out.

I leave my room and go straight to where I know Roman will be: the bathroom. I knock loudly and I hear him singing. "Prince Charming, get out here!"

He opens the door, his hair freshly made and looking perfectly groomed. I know he had just finished serenading himself in the mirror. "What do you want?"

I decide to just drop the bomb on him, "Who's Cory?"

Prince tenses up, his eyes wide. "Where did you hear that name? Logan told you didn't he?"

"That's none of your business."

He sighs. "It's been a long time since I heard his name. A long time ago, Cory was a trait like the rest of us, representing Thomas's curiosity. He was my best friend. The love of exploration and passion to chase your dreams. It was a match made in heaven!

"But one day... he went missing. He was nowhere. We thought he went to your room, but that's when we found you. No one has seen Cory since that day," he finishes with the smallest tear in his eye. He wipes it away dramatically and glares at me. "Better?"

I nod slowly. Cory was Prince's friend. Cory went missing. I showed up.
My vision begins to swim. My breathing quickens and my hands start to shake.
Prince looks at me with worry. "Virgil? Are you okay?"
No. I'm not okay. I've had this happen before, but now everyone can see.
A panic attack.
I claw at my hair and sink to the ground. Everything looks like the inside of a washing machine. The colors blur together and swim until finally, everything goes black.