Chapter 3 - Allure

"I've made up my mind."

That comment made both Uriel and Ayako look up, both stopping paying mind to their respective tasks. Uriel stopped walking towards the fire with the lumber he was carrying, in order to look at his angel. Meanwhile, Ayako lowered her hands, stopping mixing some herbs in a bowl. Both stared at Alexis, who was frowning, deep in thought, staring at the clearing around him like if he was annoyed by something. It was Ayako who decided to question Alexis, given that he was not elaborating on his sudden comment; he had broken her focus, and she was not pleased.

"Well, if you don't mind, stop interrupting and stay quiet and still." Alexis winced a little, because she poked his back and made him sit upright again, to be able to apply medicine to his scars precisely. "You move too much; I can't help you if you keep fidgeting!"

Alexis pouted and glared over his shoulder, looking at her with annoyance. He was shirtless, something that he did not like, because it exposed his scars; but that was exactly what she wanted and forced him to do, at least once a week. He had just mumbled to himself while she did her thing, he had just moved a little, and he did not like that she was so fast to scold him.

"You know, I could do this myself, Aya. But no, you insist every damn time. Can't I even say a word while I sit motionless? Can't I even turn my head to look around? I'm bored, and-"

He received another strong poke, which forced him to look ahead again, and stay still for her convenience. Even if it didn't look like it, the scars were very sensible, and something that he was weary of. One wrong touch and he could be hissing for hours.

"You could do this yourself, yes! But not like me! Who's the professional here?"

Alexis snorted between his teeth, trying his luck and probably daring her to smack him.

"Professional... I just let you do this because I don't have eyes on the back of my head. It's just brushing some smashed herbs and making sure that the scars don't open, it does not take a very bright mind to-"

Uriel winced when he noticed her hand dashing. Sure enough, her palm came down onto Alexis' shoulder a little more fiercely, and Alexis' reaction was instantaneous.

"Oww!" She only grinned when the angel glared holes through her, holding his shoulder angrily. "Ayako?!"

She shrugged playfully, and just kept mixing more herbs on a bowl.

"Sorry, my hand slipped."

Alexis' eyes narrowed grumpily, but he obliged and remained still, to not receive more annoying pats.

"Sure it did... you crazy-"

"What was that, Alex? I can't quite hear your mumbles."

"...Nothing."

Uriel sighed and stopped staring fretfully at the two, knowing quite well that their bickering was a daily occurrence. He just stepped near the fire, and dropped the lumber near it. While he fed the flames with more wood, he decided to chat, somewhat curious about the angel's first comment.

"You made up your mind... About what?"

Alexis blinked sideways at his demon. Uriel was crouching by the fire, somewhat tense. Those violet eyes were serious, almost dreading. It seemed that Uriel was still anxious, and the reason could be one of many. He still dreaded that something might happen, at any moment, anything that he or Ayako could say.

Ayako did not seem annoyed when Alexis peeked back at her, to check if it was alright to speak, not wanting another smack. Once he saw that she would not react unless he moved too much, he answered Uriel casually.