Chapter 6

"Hope you're happy." you said in a hoarse voice, tears having welled up in your eyes as you crosed your arms over your chest and walked away from both of them.

"Neither of us is." Dean spoke up as he approached you "But we know that she has to learn the truth, sooner or later. And at this point- it wouldn't make any difference. She already loves Sam, she doesn't see him as a stranger so that's what matters."

"Right, because it's more convenient." you scoffed, shaking your head "Liten to me here, we've been through tons of shitty situations. We've lived moments we never thought we'd go through and that other people would have been torn apart in but this- it's no longer just the three of us. That kid upstairs is my life and I don't care what I'll have to do but I am going to protect her happiness with everything I've got." you got closer to both of them, forgetting for a moment that Sam would probably see the marks Dean had left on your neck. That and the fact that you were actually wearing his shirt.

"And I know she has to find out, I agree that she has to. But I need you both to understand one thing: no matter what goes on amongst us she stays out of it. I don't want for a second to see her cry, and I need you both to know that." you said in a stern tone and after a final look you were making your way upstairs.

Your mood seemed to be changing every five minutes as it seemed but you didn't care anymore. You were slightly angry, yes, mostly at Dean for having gone to talk to Sam without you there. It almost seemed behind your back and you didn't want to admit that it mostly scared you about what else he had in mind to do.

"She really hasn't changed one bit." Sam whispered and the corners of Dean's mouth lifted into a small smile.

"Yeah" he whispered in a hoarse voice "She really hasn't."

~*~

"Mommy what does uncle Sam and daddy want to tell me?" Mary asked you in a low baby voice as you braided her hair after having helped her change clothes.

"Sweetheart" you whispered "Sam's not your uncle, ok? He- he will explain it to you later, just please don't call him uncle." you knew that calling Dean dad was one thing but having her call Sam uncle hurt more than anything else.

"A-alright, mommy." she looked down at her stuffed bee and you sighed kissing her forehead.

You heard a small knock on the door and both of you looked up to see Sam standing there a little awkwardly, hands stuffed in his jeans pockets and a soft smile on his lips. He gave you a tight smile that you returned.

"Where's..." you trailed off as you waited for Dean to show up but didn't see him anywhere. You'd left them alone for a little while to help Mary get ready and hopefully start the conversation, make it easier for her but no such luck.

"He's uh downstairs. He said it would be better if- if it was just me and you doing the talking. He'll come upstairs anytime now but- but won't do any talking." he cleared his throat as he walked inside the room, closing the door behind him and taking a look around him for a good few seconds.

You couldn't help but smile at him. Part of you could understand the nervousness he felt as well as excitement. It was exactly the same thing you felt when you started painting the nursery and the day Mary would be born was nearing. Becoming a parent was a miracle you never could fully understand until you held Mary in your arms. You wanted Sam to experience the same, he deserved it.

"It was really hard for me to pick out everything. I didn't know what she'd like or not." you confessed with a shy smile and he breathed out a laugh as he looked down at the little girl who was too occupied with her toys to notice.

"I guess, if she took after her mama it must have been really hard." he shrugged.

"Excuse me?" you couldn't help a playful smile, the mere way Sam looked at Mary with such adoration made you relax and only think positively "I'll pretend as if I didn't hear that." you narrowed your eyes at him and heard him chuckle at your expression.